Chapter 19: We interrogate Teresa

Thomas and I made it downstairs to a room with Jorge, Brenda, Frypan, Gally, Newt, and Teresa. She was sitting in a chair with a bag on her head.

The room was lit up with candles and lights, making it have an orange glow. There were a bunch of chairs surrounding a table where everyone was sitting or standing, so Thomas sat in a chair and I leaned on the table.

Newt came up behind Teresa and took the bag off of her head. She let out a startled gasp and looked around. Her eyes landed on Gally, and I'd never seen anyone more confused.

"Gally?" She stuttered.

"Here's how this is gonna go," He began. "We're gonna ask you some questions, and you're gonna tell us exactly what we need to know."

Gally stood from leaning on the table and started toward her. "We'll start off simple: Where's Minho?"

Teresa's eyes kept on averting from Gally to Thomas, which made me fume inside. I explained to her when we first met that I was literally dating him.

"You guys don't seriously think-"

Gally cut Teresa off by slamming a chair down in front of her and sitting on it backwards, leaning his arms on the back of the chair.

"Don't look at him," Gally said. "Why are you lookin' at him? He's not gonna help you. Look at me."

Teresa seemed very frustrated, to which I smirked.

"Now we know you have Minho in the building," Gally continued. "Where?"

Teresa leaned her head down accepting defeat. Her hair covered a bit of her face.

"He's with the others in holding. Sub level three," She answered. I scoffed in victory.

I crossed my arms and looked at Thomas. He hadn't said a word since we'd gotten here, and he still didn't. I glanced to my left over at Newt and clenched my jaw.

"How many others?" Newt asked.

"Twenty-eight," Teresa shakily replied.

Brenda and Jorge had sat down at another table with playing cards. I looked over at Brenda when she said, "I can make that work."

"No," Teresa said, "no, you guys don't understand. The whole level's restricted. You can't get in without a thumbprint ID."

"That's why you're gonna come with us," Thomas said. I looked over at him with a look of shock. He glanced over at me and reassuringly nodded.

I didn't want to be anywhere near her. I hated her. All I wanted to do was put a bullet in her head and tear her dead corpse apart.

"Well, we don't necessarily need her," Gally said. He strided off of the chair and picked up a small knife. "Not all of her." He looked back at Teresa with the knife pointed at her.

"We just need her finger."

"Gally, back off," Thomas replied. He scoffed. "What are you, squeamish? I guarantee she's done a lot worse to Minho."

"That's not the plan. Back off."

Thomas stood up and took the knife out of Gally's hand. I chuckled at the two.

"It won't make a difference," Teresa sassily replied. "Do whatever you want to me. You still won't get through the front door. The censors will-"

"I know. We're tagged," Thomas interrupted.

He walked over to Teresa and kneeled beside her. Her eyes followed his every move, which put a sick feeling to my stomach.

"Property of WICKED," He continued. "You're gonna help us with that, too."

Thomas held up the knife he took from me in front of her.

~*~

I was currently holding a napkin to the back of my neck sitting with Newt, whom also had a napkin on his neck. Teresa had gotten rid of our tags so we could get inside of WICKED.

We were sitting in silence when I remembered that Newt had the Flare.

"Have you told anyone?" I asked. He looked over at me. "About your arm?"

Newt sighed. "No, not yet."

My mouth was slightly agape. No one else knew he was dying. If we didn't tell anyone else soon, they were going to figure it out when it would get worse. If it did.

"Newt, you need to tell someone. You and I both know that it's just going to get worse. I can't risk losing you; I can't."

Newt stayed silent. "Fine," He whispered.

I stood up and grabbed his hand to pull him up from his seat.

"C'mon, you're telling Thomas."

I walked him over to Thomas who had a napkin on his neck. Teresa had already done him, too.

"Tom, Newt has something he'd like to show you," I said. I brought Newt in front of Thomas and walked away to leave them alone.

I trotted around the area, looking for something to do when I spotted Brenda. She was handling all of the guns. Brenda and I had a pretty good relationship. She's the kind of friend you would call at 6 in the morning just to see what they're doing.

I remembered when Newt yelled at Thomas and everyone learned about me and Thomas's relationship.

"Since when were you two dating?" Frypan asked.

"A few months ago," I shakily replied.

"You lied to me," Brenda muttered.

I made it to the top and stood beside Brenda. She was about half an inch shorter than me, but you could barely notice.

"Hey," I said.

She looked over at me, loading a pistol. "Hi."

The air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Anyone could've noticed the tension between us.

"I'm...Sorry, for lying to you about Thomas. We just agreed to keep it a secret and I didn't plan on telling anyone."

"S'okay," Brenda replied. "Sorry I put you on the spot about it."

"It's fine." Just like that, we were back to awkward silence. "Here." She handed me the pistol she was working with. I took it, of course.

"You going with Thomas?" She asked.

"Not sure. I plan on going with Newt. He's...."

Brenda's breath hitched in her throat. "He's-"

"Infected, yes. I forced him to tell Thomas. Couldn't bear the thought of being the only person who knew when we have the chance to save him."

But do we?

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it