Chapter 25: Teresa gives a speech

Thomas and I struggled to drag Newt to safety. Flames were slowly coming inward but we were out of reach. My body hurt and my heart felt numb seeing Newt. I never should've come. Maybe everything would've been fine if I wasn't here.

I tripped over air and fell, bringing Newt and Thomas down with me. My H/C hair covered my face and got in my eyes.

My breathing was heavy and a lump was in my throat.
"Thomas?" I heard a voice. It came from a mic somewhere, and it sounded like Teresa. "Can you hear me?"

"Hey, I'm here too!"

Teresa continued to speak. "I need you to listen to me. I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need you to come back."

"The shuck...?" Thomas managed to stand up, and so did I. We were facing the mics as we tried to listen to Teresa speak.

"Thomas, you can save Newt." I glanced back down at him. His breathing was shagged and he was clearly running out of time.

"There's still time for him," Teresa's voice boomed through the mic. "There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore. It's your blood."

Thomas is the cure. Thomas is the cure WICKED has been searching for. All this time, it was him all along? Thomas seemed as shocked as I was. "Do you understand? She isn't sick because...Because you cured her."

"Thomas, that's...H-how?"

"I.."

Teresa began to speak again. "She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back, and this will all finally be over. Please. Just come back to me."

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I exhaled. Thomas was the cure? It didn't make any sense to me.  "I know you'll do the right-" Teresa was cut off when all the lights went out, and two bright ones shined before us.

"Thomas...You're the cure?"

Thomas turned to me with a shocked and surprised face. "Y/N...I-I.."

In the faint distance, screaming could be heard. Fire was coming closer, and the world seemed to have a reflecting orange glow. I turned back to face Newt, who had been laying on the ground the whole time Teresa was giving her speech.

He slowly rose up from the ground with his back turned to me. Not even seeing his face, you would be able to tell something was wrong with him. His hair was sweaty and knotted, and his body was shaking.

"Newt?" I asked. "Newt, you okay?"

He fully turned around to face me, but what I saw was not the Newt I knew. The small fragment of innocence he had left in his eyes was gone, replaced with a look of craziness and a thirst for death.

It was over. Newt had fully become a Crank, and we'd run out of time.