Chapter 12: We almost get blown up by huge guns

The outside of The Last City wasn't pretty, as I'd anticipated. People were yelling and running toward the wall that separated the two cities. Garbage and spray painted logos were everywhere, and I was a bit overwhelmed.

We saw the walls separating the two cities start to open. So that's why people are running.

"That's it! That's our way in!" Thomas yelled. He, Jorge, Frypan and Brenda all went first, while Newt and I took up the rear. We turned to each other with worried looks. "I don't trust this place," I said above all the noise.

"Me neither," He replied. We moved forward and chased after the four, bobbing and weaving between people. I looked over my shoulder and saw a few people in gas masks staring at us.

One of the men seemed oddly familiar. I wasn't sure where I'd seen him from, though. I turned my attention back to the opening walls and tried to catch up with everyone.

Newt and I held hands while trotting through the crowd, both of us going at the same pace because of our limp. I turned to my right and saw more people with gas masks, just staring at us.

The sight made shivers run down my spine and my hair stand on end. "What do you think those people want with us?" I asked Newt. {Again, it's giving Will Byers}

He looked over at the people with gas masks and looked back over at me. "Not sure," He replied. "But they're definitely trouble. C'mon, we gotta catch up with the others!"

We made our way to the metal gate holding back the rioting people. We found Thomas, Jorge, Brenda and Frypan. Newt tapped on Thomas's shoulder and got his attention.

"Hey! Guys! We gotta go now, look!"

We all turned and saw the people with gas masks coming toward us from all angles. "Shuck," I whispered.

Jorge pulled out his gun, when a loud humming noise was heard. It rumbled my bones and sent chills through my body. Everyone turned their attention to the opening walls.

Large, metallic guns with glowing red orbs appeared from the top of the opening walls. Everyone started to scream and yell and shriek and cry and run in the other direction. People with the gas masks led them away from the guns.

Newt, Frypan, Brenda, Jorge and I all started to run, but Thomas stayed frozen. "Thomas! C'mon! Run!" I screamed. He started to run when the guns were fired and the world seemed to shake.

Dust flew up from the ground where the bullets hit, and I almost fell. Newt's grip on my hand tightened so hard I thought my hand would fall to the ground.

We all ran away from the firing guns, people flying into the air all around me as they got shot by the massive bullets. We ran through a concrete building and out the other side when I was suddenly grabbed and my hand separated from Newt's.

I was thrown into a car and landed on my stomach. I crawled to the back of the truck and expected the worst. Thomas and Brenda were soon thrown into the car with me.

The door slammed shut, and three people in gas masks climbed into the truck with guns, watching us. The three of us were huddled into the other side. I was cuddled up next to Thomas.

My head was on his chest and his arms wrapped around my shaking body in a protective manner. He rested his chin on my head while we all glared daggers at the people with gas masks.

Someone opened up the door behind us and we slowly stepped out. Another van pulled up and we heard yelling inside.

The door was kicked down and a man fell out, Jorge leaping on top of him to strangle him.

We all jumped forward and tried to stop Jorge. We were all pushed against the trucks with our hands above our heads. I was shoved into Newt's chest and his arms wrapped around my torso.

Brenda calmed Jorge down, thankfully, and Thomas sent worried glances in our direction. "Everybody relax, we're all on the same side here," One of the men in the gas masks said.

It was the man I seemed to recognize, like his body was an itching memory in the back of my mind.

Thomas got out of the grip of one of the men and stormed toward him. "What do you mean 'Same side'? Who are you?"

Newt and I walked over to Thomas and stood behind him. The man turned his head away from us and took his mask off.

He turned back toward us, and our jaws dropped.

It was Gally.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it