Chapter Four: Pre-Debut Highs and Lows at Trotter's Ridge

Vion's POV

Trotter's Ridge High School, home of the Pirates.

It was a contemporary-themed two-story building that could almost be mistaken for a junor college with an on-location sports complex and every amenity that was a far cry from my old school (West Bowles High, home of the Raiders). And after a quiet weekend spent with Aunt Mona and Uncle Donnie at church and home; I was currently sitting down with Principal Angelique Foreman (an Amazon of a woman with dark-chocolate skin and a model-worthy build that defied her being fifty) and Vice-Principal Daniel Talbot (a sixtyish-year-old man who looked as if he could still be an athlete yet could carry himself like royalty) as I was getting ready for classes that were to be held next Monday. "You have our deepest sympathies regarding your late parents and unborn brother, Mr. Copeland," the latter said as a fresh-faced receptionist strolled in with cups of coffee and pastries on hand for everyone. "I can only empathize how you're holding up and can only tell you that every day can get better than the last."

"Agreed," Principal Fordham nodded. "I understand that you mainly came here to escape a toxic relationship regarding your god-sister  Kenya Halliday, correct?"

I sat up straight. "Yes, ma'am," I replied. "Back in New Orleans, I was mainly her whipping boy and errand runner- having to cater to her needs and whims yet never got anything other than her hateful words and attitudes. She even humiliated me with her pranks just to make sure that I 'knew my place on the bottom rung of the ring,' and even kept me from branching out. She said that all I needed was her and that everyone would just use and abuse me. That was hypocritical for her to say since she was the only one who was using and abusing me for her enjoyment. If I hadn't gotten out of there, I'd be facing an earlier death sentence since she might've gotten tired of me and found me expendable."

Talbot narrowed his eyes. "The nerve of that young woman," he said lowly. "Has she no morals?"

"Probably not," Fordham commented crisply. To me, "Your aunt and uncle would want you to start branching out and finally find your own path in life, Bay'Vion. She and everyone else knows what Talbot and I already do: you have so much potential for your life yet had to hide it to please people who only want you to remain in the background. You were caught in the totem-pole/downward-spiral mindset. Only Kenya could come out on top while you had to be her plaything and if things didn't go her way, she didn't want you to be happy. It's fitting that you decided to leave your hometown and come to Stonehaven Pointe to spend time with your aunt and uncle. This is your moment to spin the straws of your life into gold. Let yourself be found."

Her words were no-nonsense, if not straight to the pointe. If these people said that they believed in me, then it was time to start believing in myself. "I just don't know where to start," I admitted.

"Well, you coming here to our town is the start," I heard my aunt reply as she and Uncle Donnie (who had dropped me off earlier to handle some things) came into the office. "All you can do right now is take things one day at a time. Start with some small goals and work your way up. Everything else will fall into place."

"I'll try. I mean, I can at least give it a shot."

That's all we ask," Uncle Donnie piped up. "And remember, boy, that nothing ever comes easy but it never pays to just sit by and let your life pass you by."

*************

Damon Erskine, Tahira Givens, Quintarrus Rozier, Charity Erkine, and De'Marquez "Quez" Houlton.

Those were the names of Felicity's friends that introduced themselves to me after I was given a full tour of the school, given a schedule and locker assignment, and even met the teachers. And as Felicity predicted, all of the teens had some words about Kenya and yet assured me that I was among friends.