Chapter Ten: Wyatt's Advice

Tuesday came with no sign of the John Dandy Boys Club, which made nearly everyone a bit down since the all-male mentoring group were considered the "rockstars of the school (Chasity's words, not mine)." I was actually surprised myself to not see them, a bit expected to have one or two of the guys pop in after yesterday. Of course, my interaction with them, Brad in particular, was the hot topic for most of the school day.

"I stil can't believe that the new kid met those guys face to face. I mean, I've been wanting to get close to them for months now and that Copeland kid did it with little to no effort, and on the first day of school, no less!"

"I don't know what kind of magic that the new guy has, but I'm wanting to have it myself! He's kind of shy, but in a good way. After all of the shit he went through at his old neighborhood, I'm surprised that the guy managed to charm everyone."

"That Vion kid's all right, I guess. Kind of quiet and a bit too grown-up, but I guess he's guarding his heart after putting up with that witch of a godsister for the longest. He could be in movies with that looks. If those John Dandy Boys catch his attention and invite him to join, he'd fit right in."

"New kid better use that magic wisely. You know how hard it is to earn those boys' favors and all, but it's easy to fall out of it if he does something stupid. But I think he's the one to not do anything reckless and shit. With him being from Louisiana, he's mainly the type to keep to himself yet fit in with us like that."

As for me and my new friends, I was settling in with them seamlessly and was mainly compared to the quiet kid from Degrassi. Anyway, my Tuesday was spent just focusing on classes and making nice with everyone.

Wednesday arrived with another no-show, which was also normal. "The guys are mainly out and about with the superintendent while talking to the other JDBC groups at the other school," one of the cheerleaders commented to me as I asked around. "I mean, the start of the school year means also getting together to settle old affairs and discussing new business. Not only that, they also get familiar with their classes and all- online courses and even tutors from what I know. Whether they're here at Trotter's Ridge, Samuel Park Academy, or even North Whitney, those guys are the gods of Stonehaven Pointe! I'd kill to be in either of their shoes."

It was little secret that everyone considered the guys as the next versions of BTS, but with books and all that jazz. Me? Well, all I could do was mind my own manners and stay in my lane. "There's no need to go looking for answers that aren't meant for you," my pastor once said. "Let them come at their own time, child. When you least expect it, expect it." So I just bided my time and played the role of a new kid making my rounds and living the life of a high-school junior.

*************

And then came Thursday.

By then, I was getting into the routine of Felicity being my shadow for my my debut week and I was already getting offers for house parties, weekend outings, and all that. I was now at study hall with Felicity, Tahira, Quintarrus, and some of the athletes as we talked about the oncoming course work while getting some of the homework assigned earlier finished. "Everyone's still eyeing you like the shiny new Mustang from Herdon Ford-Lincoln," one of the girls' basketball players commented. "Vion, you're not getting a swelled head on us, are you?"

I gave her a good-natured smile. "With all the mess I dealt with from Kenya and her clan, it's impossible for me to get a swelled head," I replied. "Besides, I'm not one to put on airs and all that."

"I can tell you're not," commented a male voice, smooth and sharp.

All eyes turned to a tall and athletic red-headed young man dressed in cool shades of blue. "Wow," I heard Tahira breathe. "I can't believe one of them is here in the library with us."