Chapter Forty-Two: Surprises and Alliances

Vion's POV

The next day...

The Daily Siren/Houlton Post

The John Dandy Masquerade Ball: Saluting Newcomers and Remembering Vion Copeland

This past, fine readers, was when the newest inductees for the John Dandy Boys and Men Clubs took place with four newcomers joining the all-male mentoring program: Ramah Khan and De'Andre Thompson  were welcomed formally into the John Dandy Boys Club while Adam Thompson and Donovan Booker were inducted into the adult male counterpart. A small ceremony of remembrance was held in memory of the late Bay'Vion Copeland who was slated to be inducted but was removed from this world last Tuesday due to complications from the shooting not too long ago, his private funeral taking place this past Saturday. If it wasn't for arrogance and bigotry from one Kenya Halliday, he might've gone places and made a life away from her controlling demands.

"Vion was a great guy who governed himself accordingly and managed to live his life with purpose since his arrival in Stonehaven Pointe," commented Superintendent Broderick Westley, the main president of the fraternal organizations. "His life was shortened by a woman scorned and jealous because he wanted to better his life while she wanted him to serve her hand and foot as she wasted her life completely. All of Stonehaven Pointe are aware of her prison escape and we will be dilligent and make sure that she will not cause any harm to anyone else. We will be ready to send her back to Angola Prison where she belongs."

I asked De'Andre of his feelings for his ex-girlfriend's plans. "I have nothing but pure contempt for someone who ended a young man's life too soon," he answered honestly as he was paired with his female escort from Wickerby. "She has caused his surviving relatives nothing but heartbreak and I hope she answers for her sins when she is arrested again and sent to prison where she belongs."

When asked of his induction into the brotherhood, he said that this was something that was long overdue. "I couldn't have gotten anything like this back in New Orleans," he commented. "Dad and I are more than ready to accept the responsibilities that come with being a part of a brotherhood that believes in giving back to the community and doing more for their livelihood. I'm taking this opportunity to create a new path that can be beneficial for my future and for those that are still looking for something."

All of the creme de la creme of Stonehaven Pointe and the surrounding towns and cities along the Chesapeake Bay were in attendance ranging from Mayor Soraya Thicke and Albert Herndon of Herndon Ford-Lincoln to town singing sensation Kennedy Banks and rap sensation Lance "L-Town" Dalton as television reporters from WSHN, WXTR, and WLX provided coverage of the gala. And all I could say that it was a pleasure to see a community come together for men who want to make a lasting legacy when joining the John Dandy Boys and Men. My only wish was that my friend Vion was there to be a part of it. Rest in Power, Bay'Vion Copeland. See you in the morning.

"Oh, wow," breathed Chasity as she took in the superhuman personas of De'Andre, the Westley and Thompson duos, and myself after learning my story and the weekend that happened. "Damon said that I was going to be in for a surprise today during lunch, but nothing like this. Does everyone know what's going on?"

"Only the ones who are Guardians, especially our friends, the teachers and staff members alongside a few students here, and even our families," I replied, sitting next to my stunned female friend. "And with your family now Guardians- Damon included, it's more important that you also know what's going on and be a part of what's happening."