017.

"you ready for me, sweetheart?" mike called out towards the changing room with a closed velvet curtain as he sat down on a chair outside.

he was glad he bought out this store so el and his daughter could try on dresses in private.

he was also glad he brought his assistant for help and that he made sure whoever who was measuring el and novah was a woman.

"almost!" novah exclaimed in a slurred voice as mike smiled gently.

mike turned to his assistant who was on her phone. "your daughter?"

"ah, yes, she's getting ready for her dance. they grow up so fast, you must cherish those toddler times,"

he smiled softly and nodded. "i will."

she straightened and looked down at her notebook. "i have a few things that i wanted to go over with you. the types of glasses, tables and the schedule that day. but for now the dress code and invitations."

"dress code would be the same as last year. as formal as possible— you know the drill. invitations just draft them and i'll look over it," he went to stand just as the curtains opened and el held onto novah's hand to lead her out.

"oh, you look so beautiful," mike gasped as el placed novah up to stand right in front of a mirror. "my sweet princess, give your daddy a twirl,"

novah twirled to make her white dress flow around her, smiling and giggling at how the dress flew through the air.

"you are so beautiful, do you like the dress?" mike asked, kneeling to her height as el did the same thing, cupping novah's face.

"i love it!"

el chuckled and kissed her cheek. "you are the prettiest baby on the planet,"

"mommy, where your dress?" novah asked cutely, using her hands to flatten her white dress. "matchy me!"

"of course, sweet pea. wait here," el tapped her button nose and then turned to walk to the changing room where she closed the curtain behind her.

"come here, sweetheart," mike grabbed novah by the waist and hoisted her up to his hip. "you my little girl?"

she nodded and snuggled into his neck as he pressed kisses to her cheek.

"i miss when my little girl was like that," stephanie sighed and grabbed mikes phone to take a photo of them for him. "now my husband and i never even see her,"

"sucks to be you. my little girl would never," he kissed novah's temple which made her giggle and grab his face. "daddy!" she exclaimed happily.

he chuckled and squished his daughters cheeks for the photo.

he stilled when he heard the curtain move a little before it stopped.

"mike..." el called out quietly. "can you come help me?"

he placed novah down on the ground and walked to the changing room, peeking his head in. "i can get someone to help you zip up if you prefer a girl to—"

"just help me, mike," she murmured and he entered the changing room and shut the curtain behind him.

she turned, draping her long brown strands over her other shoulder to give him her back.

he reached out, zipping her up slowly as her breath trembled from how his fingers traced over her spine lightly.

feeling her tremble beneath his touch, he let out a weak breath and quickly finished zipping. "all good," he cleared his throat and looked away as she stepped back.