013.

"get me the fucking contract!" mike scolded at his employee as he searched his desk. "i need to look it over first! it's due today!" he scolded and opened another file, desk telephone to his ear.

"hey, stephanie— no, i can't fucking find it. i'm fucking pissed, i have clients breathing down my throat— we are behind already— fuck!" he cursed in annoyance and ran a hand through his hair whilst the door opened, his assistant—stephanie—coming in.

was he mad about work or was he stressed about what's going on at home?

"here," she placed a stack of files on his desk. "contract and proposals. i have faxed them to the clients already and only your signature is needed,"

"thank you, stephanie. what time is it?" he asked and checked his rolex before groaning. "i have another meeting?"

"yes, right now," stephanie nodded. "take the files with you, the clients are waiting,"

"let me text—" he picked up his phone and cursed seeing the black screen and out of battery icon.

"mr wheeler,"

"i'm going! i'm going!" he screamed and set down his phone. "remind me to text my wife later. the meeting should be quick?"

"yes, but you still need to approve prototypes before they can be sent out tomorrow along with the new baby line,"

"fuck, how long will that take?"

"depends how quick you are,"

he let out a grunt, checking his watch again before he rushed out of his office and towards the conference room.

"get everything ready for me. i want to be home as soon as possible,"

he promised. this morning he had promised.

crossed his heart as he told her that he would be home by 7.

it was now 6:30 and he couldn't message el.

before he sat down, he turned to his assistant. "call my wife for me, let her know i'll be back late,"

she gave a small nod. "i'll try,"

he opened up the file in front of him, sitting at the head of the table before turning to his client on his left.

with a gentle smile, he spoke. "let's begin,"

♣︎

"el?" mike unlocked the front door, looking both ways at the dark house. "el?" he began to walk upstairs to find her, peeling off his tie and suit jacket.

he rushed to their room, sighing when she wasn't there before he went down the hall to the guest room. "i'm sorry. i lost track of time trying to finish everything before the deadlines,"

he knocked on the doors a few times and entered, only to realise she wasn't there.

"el?" his panic grew and he rushed out of the room and to find her downstairs instead. "el?" his voice was loud but not too loud to wake novah who was sleeping in her room.

he rushed downstairs and searched the living room, family room and ended in the kitchen.

he circled the kitchen counter, gasping when he found her laid on the ground, empty bottles of bourbon, whiskey, vodka, tequila all laid around her.

she laid still on the tile ground, a bottle rolling out of her hand as he crouched down to her, cupping her face. "el," he whispered in shock and shook her gently. "el!" he went to feel her pulse and his head shook, tears falling.