019.

"thank you, mr king," mike stood, giving him a firm handshake as the tall man dressed in a suit stood as well, returning the shake.

"no problem. i brought her here for this exact reason too," a smirk escaped her as mike raised a brow, watching mr king walk to the door before opening it.

a few seconds later, a woman entered and mike recognised her instantly, his glare hardening when he remembered what el asked him.

who's rose? did you sleep with her?

his blood boiled at the thought.

when the woman with the smug smile sat down across from mikes chair, per her boss's request, her gaze met mike's as if she owned the world.

"yes?" she fluttered her lashes as mike remained his gaze on the man stood in front of him.

mike sat down on his seat, fixing his suit before rolling up the cuff of his suit.

"you're fired," the words escaped her own boss and her mouth dropped open in disbelief.

before she could voice any opinions, he continued. "don't you ever think that you could put my business at jeopardy again,"

she shot out of her seat. "i never—!"

"you're embarrassing yourself." he stated as mike smiled at her with fake sweetness. "before you leave... i need you to apologise to my wife for upsetting her."

"your..." she trailed off before she stuttered, knowing what this was about. "we were just talking,"

"my daughter was present. did you seriously think it was appropriate?" his gaze narrowed and a scoff escaped him. "firing you was doing you a favour,"

he couldn't even look at her for one more second so he turned, picking up his glass before staring out at the view.

he heard his client speak to the woman before he heard her heels clap against the floor as she hurried out of the room.

"i'll make sure your wife gets her apology,"

mike turned and extended a hand. "thank you,"

king shook it and smiled. "anything for a friend. hey, i have a wife too, she needed to learn her lesson,"

"thank you. we'll talk more at our next meeting,"

"certainly," he gave mike a smiled and he called stephanie in to walk him out.

once he bid a goodbye, he picked up his phone and went to dial el, checking his rolex at the same time.

4:23pm.

she should answer.

after a very long dial, the line clicked and he sighed a relief. "hey there, you awake?"

a quiet sigh escaped her. "yes?" she exhaled and he could tell she was tired.

"just wanted to let you know i'm going to finish up here and be home by 6 or so,"

"that's early," she murmured and he heard some shuffling. "are you taking a nap?"

"sort of."

"i won't bother you anymore then. i just wanted to let you know,"

"thank you," she whispered. "anything else?"

"no, that's all. see you, el,"

she let out a hum in response and hung up, leaving him with his head hung low as he removed the phone from his ear.

now, he just wanted to go home quickly and check on el to make sure she was safe.

♣︎