Chapter Twenty-Two: Trouble in Paradise

•twenty-two•

Beatrix

Once we're in the cafeteria, we all grab a plate of food, piled high, and sit down together. We eat in silence, but we can all tell that we're just itching to find out what each of our jobs do. I'm the most curious about Daryl's and why he has a different shift than Maggie and Glenn. How early is first shift? I just have so many questions.

"Dawn sent me to bitch at the new scouts," a familiar voice says from the enterance to the cafeteria. The part of our group that was in Atlanta immediately snap their heads up to conform our suspicions. It's Merle Dixon. "Which of ya'll pansies do I need to whip into shape?"

"Merle? The hell are ya doin' here?" Daryl yells, standing up. I attempt to place my hand on his to calm him down, but he jerks away.

"Baby brother! I'm surprised ya still remember who I am after leavin' me on that rooftop," Merle scoffs and walks over to our table to keep from causing an even bigger scene than what was already unfolding.

"Don't start that shit, Merle. I went back for ya, but you bein' a dumbass cut ya damn hand off before we could get there," Daryl yells and then points to me. "Me and Beatrix even came here to look for ya."

"Ya mean Princess over there?" Merle laughs and looks down at me. "She's too damn perky to get anything right."

"You best watch your mouth," Daryl warns.

"She your bitch now?" Merle smirks and places his good arm around his brother's neck. Where his right has should be, is instead a bayonet type thing. It's basically a metal replacement for a hand.

"Merle, I'll kick your ass right now," Daryl says as he slings Merle's arm off of his shoulder and sits back down.

"Whatever, Darlina. I'm gonna need the three new pussies to come with me," Merle chuckles, referring to Glenn, Maggie and Daryl. They silently stand up and follow him out of the room, listening to his crude remarks as they go.

"That's Daryl's brother?" Beth whispers from the seat to my right; Daryl was on my left.

"Yeah," I sigh. "He's a bit much. I'm glad Daryl found him though."

"Me too," she smiles before dropping her fork and changing the subject. "Were you serious before? About us bein' friends?"

"Of course," I nod. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I dunno," she shrugs. "I just figured you're like the rest of them. They think I'm just a kid and that I don't know what I'm doin'. That I should just stay out of the way."

"Well clearly I think you're more thann just a kid who doesn't know what she's doing," I take my last bite of food and divert my attention directly to her, ignoring everyone else's conversations. "I let you help me operate on Dale. That's a big step for someone your age, and you did an excellent job. I expect great things from you, Beth Greene."

"Thank you," she blushes and looks up at me. "Can I go with you to meet the other doctor?"

"Sure. We should go now though. Let your dad know where you're going," I tell her before getting up and walking up to one of the officers watching over the cafeteria. Unfortunately, the only ones I see are O'Donnel and Gordon.

"What can we do for a pretty lady like you?" O'Donnel smirks at me.

"Um, I need to visit Doctor Edwards. Do you know where he is?" I ask politely.

"His office is in room five-thirty-two. We can give you a police escort up," he winks at me, but I shake my head and turn around to see that Beth is approaching me.