Chapter Fifty-Three: An Old Friend

•fifty-three•

Beatrix

I sit on the edge of the top of the guard tower, letting my legs hang down off the edge. The cool breeze blows my hair back away from my face as I stare out into the horizon, watching for The Governor, though I doubt he'll make an appearance right now.

This is the first time I've truly been alone in a while. This is the first time I've had time to actually think.

My brother is back in my life.

I smile at the thought of Baxly being with me, but frown at the same fine, because I know he has a past. He had a past that he isn't telling me about, and it obviously has something to do with Lucas, I just don't know what.

But at the same time, Baxly was with The Governor. He condoned that awful man's behavior for who knows how long, and he even helped him carry out some of his atrocities. I truly believe that that's something the group needs to discuss, because I know Baxly isn't perfect. He hit me. That's not right. But at the same time, he is my brother.

Lori is dead.

It wasn't a secret that we didn't get along. We definitely had our disagreements, at least every other day, but that didn't stop me from caring about her. She was still a part of our group. Rick is still a father figure to me, and she was his wife. She was Carl's mother. She was Lucy's mother. She was the new baby's mother. And now she's gone.

I can't help but let the tears escape my eyes as I think about the hardships her children, as well as Rick, will have to endure. Her children will grow up without a mother. Rick is basically a widow. None of this is right.

T-Dog is dead.

I was never very close with T-Dog, but we had taken turns saving each other's lives. I saved his on the highway outside of Atlanta all of those months ago, and he saved mine mere days ago when I went beyond the walls by myself. He was my second experiment to exist, and he was the second to fail, not for my lack of accuracy, though, but instead for pure unfortunate luck.

We aren't safe anymore. We never were.

We must have been foolish to think that the prison was a safe place. It was secure from walkers, yes, but did we ever think about the people? We should have known people would want this place.

I hear footsteps coming up the stairs, causing me to stand up and wipe the tears from my face. My hand instinctively goes to the knife on my hip as I watch for the door to open.

"Hey, Beatrix," Sebastian says as soon as he pushes the door open.

"Hey," I mumble, letting out a sigh of relief as my hand drops from my side. "Are you here to take over?"

"I am," he nods, stepping to the side as he holds the door open for me to leave.

"Thanks," I tell him, walking through the door and down the stairs.

By now it's nightfall and it's eerily quiet. The walkers aren't even being loud. I can't hear their snarls unless I listen closely for them. The full moon shines down on the prison, lighting the way for me to get to the entrance to our cell block. As soon as I crack the door open, I can hear Beth singing. I smile at the noise, even though it's not my favorite song. Beth's voice is angelic.

I wander over to stand beside of Daryl, leaning my back on the wall of the cell block. He reaches down to intertwine our fingers as he speaks in a hushed voice to Hershel and Rick.

"I'm going on a run tomorrow," Rick says as he hold's a bottle for Judith to eat in his arms.

"I'll head out tomorrow," Daryl replies. I guess he wants to go too.