Chapter Thirty-Five: How to Save a Life

•thirty-five•

Beatrix

"You're so beautiful," Lucas mutters, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Thank you," I smile back at him. "I have an emergency appy, though. I have to go."

"I could scrub in with you," he offers, and he's just so cute that I have to let him.

"Okay," I agree. "We have to go now. Come on."

Lucas smiles and follows me into the scrub room. I peek through the window into the operating room, and everything looks to be set up already. That's great; I hate having to drape patients, and my favorite nurses know exactly how I like it done. Lucas and I get our masks on at the same time before starting to scrub. After four and a half minutes, our hands are clean and we're ready to go in.

"I love you," Lucas says. "I want to kiss you right now, and I'm pretty bummed out that I can't."

"You can kiss me after we're done, okay?" I let out a small laugh, holding my hands up as I push open the OR door with my back. "Good morning, everyone!"

"Good morning, Doctor Zedler," the scrub nurses say back to me, just like they do every other day.

"Is he asleep?" I ask as one of them hands me a towel to dry my hands with.

"No," Lucas replies. I turn around to see him reaching in the pocket of his scrubs. What is he doing?

"How do you know?" I question, raising my eyebrow. "You're going to have to go scrub again. You know that, right?"

"I know that, because this isn't a real appy," he says, finally digging a small box out of his pocket.

"Lucas, what are you talking about?" I sigh and reach my arms out, ready for one of the nurses to gown me, but none of them do. "What's going on?"

"I love you," Lucas claims, walking closer to me before dropping down on one knee.

"Oh, my God," I mutter, looking around behind me. All of the nurses have their hands together, watching anxiously.

"Ever since the first day of our internship here, I've known you were the one for me," he lets out a nervous laugh, opening up the box. Inside, there's a beautiful princess cut diamond ring. "I've been in love with you for seven years, and I know you haven't loved me that long, but all that matters is that you love me now, right? I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So Beatrix Arianna Zedler, will you give me the honor of having you as a wife?"

My mouth drops open. I try to speak, but no words form. What the hell? Is he being serious?

"It's your turn to talk now, Trixy," Lucas nervously laughs again, rightfully so.

"I don't know what to say," I mutter, not lying. I have no idea what to say. Does he really thing that marriage is a good idea? So soon?

"Say yes, dumbass!" I turn around to see Nathan sitting up on the OR table, drapes falling to the ground.

"You got Nathan to be a fake patient?" I laugh, looking back down to Lucas. He really is a nice guy.

"Yeah, I did. I owe him a lot of favors now," he nods. "I also paid a lot of money for OR time, nurses, and an anesthesiologist, so I'm going to need an answer."

"Okay," I reply, nodding my head.

"Yes?" He asks.

"Yes," I smile as he stands up, pulling the ring out of the box.