Chapter 38

I looked out the window of the car to see the small town pass by. My past life was now being left behind, along with Jed.

Danny was nice enough to take the handcuffs off while I was in the car, letting me sit in the passenger seat beside him. Not to worry, there were still threats sent my way if I were to try something. It's not like I planned to. I know that I need patience if I want to survive this.

My head was leaning against the window, watching everything pass us. Danny lightly hummed along to the music over the radio. Something about this moment made him seem like he was Jed again. I wish he was Jed again.

"Where are we going?" I asked him when he turned down the ad that started to play.

"Somewhere to hide. You'll see." His voice sounded monotone, not even glancing at me. His focus was completely on the road. It made me wonder if I could even escape from here. Open the door and roll out? That would kill me. Do something to make Danny crash? That would kill both of us. Maybe we should both die anyway. I wouldn't be in this situation, and the Ghostface wouldn't attack any more innocent people. I was pulled out of my thoughts when Danny placed a hand lightly on my knee.

"Just relax, enjoy the trip." He could sense my distress.

"Can we get snacks?" I asked when I saw a gas station just up the road. It seemed to be the only thing out here for miles. After the whole day of not eating or drinking, I was getting dizzy. From the looks of it, Danny had the same thoughts.

"I guess I need gas anyway." He said as he pulled the car into the gas station, stopping right in front of a pump. Danny opened the door and stepped out of the car.

I sat there for a second before thinking it wouldn't be bad if I got out also. My legs are getting sore from sitting here anyway.

"What are you doing?" Danny didn't seem pleased when I got out of the car. I didn't mean to make him angry in any way.

"Come on, I've been sitting for hours now." I shut the car door as I stretched out my legs. It felt so nice to stand again.

"Come here." His voice was stern as I walked around the car to him. There's no way I could make a run for it now, not with him right here.

"What are you thinking?" His voice seemed much angrier now that he was whispering to me. Maybe I got too comfortable. "You can't just be out right now."

"I just -" I paused, thinking about what I was going to say first. "I just wanted to stretch my legs. Please, Danny?"

"You try something, and I will kill you." He held out a finger towards my face, getting closer to me. I looked down for a moment, getting uncomfortable with his new demeanor.

"Do you hear me?" His voice was low and still completely serious.

"I hear you." I whispered, the excitement in my voice completely gone. Danny grabbed onto my jaw, pulling my face up to look at him. I looked at him with fear, not thinking he would be this mad.

"I hear you." I repeated while looking in his eyes. I wasn't looking at Jed. I wasn't looking at Danny. I was looking at Ghostface. I could see it in his eyes. That was until it slowly faded. Danny was slowly coming back once he realized I was scared of him.

"You stay by me, and you keep your mouth shut." He was still serious as he spoke, but he was also much softer.

"I will." I whispered, my heart still beating out of my chest as he held my face close to him.

He didn't move a muscle, only looking at me with his milk chocolate eyes. Neither of us did a single thing as we stood there. That was until Danny made a move. He leaned forward and placed his lips against mine in a soft yet aggressive way.

My eyes instantly widened, not expecting a kiss at this time. His grip on my jaw loosened and moved to cup my cheek instead. At this moment, he felt like Jed again. A soft and sweet man who has done nothing wrong in his life. Who knew that the only way to survive Ghostface was to make him fall in love with you.

The kiss didn't last long. Danny pulled away quickly, his eyes returning to mine. I was so focused on the kiss that I didn't even notice his free hand was wrapped protectively around my waist.

"Just behave, alright?" His voice was soft as he glanced to the pump, getting ready to do the task that I had distracted him from.

"Give me your hand." Danny pulled away from me, holding his hand out to me. I gave in, placing my hand in his. He held onto it tightly, pulling my hand into his pocket to keep me right next to him.

He finished up with the gas, looking towards the building. For a few moments, we just stood there.

"Are we going in?" I asked him. Danny didn't respond to me. He was still stuck in his trance while looking at the building. My hand was still being tightly held in his pocket.

"Danny?" I raised my voice, finally pulling him out of thought.

"What? Oh, yeah. We're going in." His grip only tightened on my hand as we started to walk towards the building. Not a single car was outside besides one other. I guess there's only one person inside. This could be my chance.

~○~