Chapter 47

It has been a year since Danny proposed to me. No wedding has ever happened, and most likely never will happen. Why? Because Jack and Tiffany Smith are not real people. Even with that setback, Danny still treats me like his wife. He got a local job as a journalist just like he did before.

When he leaves me, he makes sure to lock every door and window. I watch him do the check every time before he leaves. There is no way anyone will ever enter or exit this house without the key that Danny holds onto religiously.

After all this time, I've never seen or heard of Ghostface again. It's like Danny was done with killing completely. That was until this night.

I was in the kitchen with a slice of simple toast in my hands. I've already taken a few bites out of it while watching out the window. It was dark, so I could hardly see anything besides a few illuminated leaves on our single lonely tree in the backyard.

That was until a black figure glided across the reflection in the glass. I looked back the second I saw it, my hand dropping the piece of toast on the counter as the Ghostface mask lunged forward at me. A gloved hand was firmly pressed on my mouth as I came once again face to face with Ghostface himself.

"I sure miss scaring you, darling." The voice changer was on as he spoke.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I asked once I wiggled my way out of his grasp. My hands held onto his suit tightly on his arms.

"You didn't think I'd let go of my life's calling, did you?" He spoke in a condescending tone as his hands grabbed onto my waist tightly. Danny straightened his back, moving closer to me so the mask was looking down at me.

"You're going to..." I started to speak just to get cut off by Danny.

"I'm going to kill someone tonight." He whispered before taking off the mask. "Just sit tight, and I'll be right back."

He leaned forward and pressed his lips against my forehead before pulling away. His hand went up and pulled his mask back down over his face, hiding his chocolate brown eyes and messy hair.

"Danny." I called out to him, making him stop before leaving out the window.

"Yes, darling?"

"This isn't going to be a permanent home, is it?" I asked. With Ghostface making his appearance, they would catch on sooner or later, and we would have to leave just like before.

"No, it won't be." Danny moved closer to me once more and lightly put his hand under my chin. I've grown to be more comfortable around him. It has been a year of us being engaged after all. "I promise you wouldn't see anything of my work besides the costume."

"Right. Just be safe, okay," I said while he left the house, locking the window behind him so I couldn't leave. Of course, a serial killer couldn't just leave through the front door, so he has to act like spider man and jump out a window.

I don't even know why I said he should be safe. I should hate him, right? I should despise his existence, and yet here I am telling him to be safe while he goes out and does unspeakable things in the night. Dare I say I've grown soft to him. Finally, I am starting to accept who he is and what I am to him. Yet deep down, I still feel the regret. The want for freedom that any normal person would crave.

Even with all of my conflicting feelings, I can't deny the warm feeling Danny brings me. I mean, let's be honest. He chose me. He fell for me and did everything in his power to bring me with him. He would kill for me without wasting a second to hesitate. I can't deny the urge to go along with it. Yet deep down, I miss my old life. I miss doing my job and being able to leave the house. I miss my mother. She must think I'm dead by now.

"Working in the kitchen at night! I'm chopping lettuce at night! Look at me! I'm mopping the bathroom at night!" The voice from the TV caught my attention and dragged me out of my train of thought.

"Might as well." I whispered to myself while sitting down on the couch and started watching the SpongeBob episode. It was an easy way to calm my nerves and clear my mind. I leaned over so I could lay down on the couch. This proved to be a mistake because I ended up falling asleep rather quickly.

~○~

"Y/N? Why are you still out here?" I awoke to Danny's voice, opening my eyes to see him standing over me on the couch. He had already turned off the TV, so it was completely quiet in the night. I looked over at the clock to see it was four in the morning.

"I guess I fell asleep." I whispered as my eyes adjusted to the dark. I could now see Danny clear enough to point out a few distinguishing features. He didn't have the mask on, but the costume was still hugging his form. The biggest shock was the blood that was dripping down his face and probably on the costume. I couldn't quite tell because it's hard to see red blood against the black fabric in the dark.

"Come on, let's get you to bed." Without warning, Danny reached down and picked me up bridal style. He carried me to our shared bedroom and gently laid me in the bed. I was so exhausted that I almost fell asleep on the spot. I stayed up long enough to feel him get in the bed on the other side and wrap his arms around my waist so he could pull my back flush against his chest.

~○~