Chapter 24

"Is this going to be your room?" Carter asked. 

"Yep." Chris responded as he sat his bag down next to the bed. He then glanced at the bed and let out a sigh. 

"Your room is small, dad." Carter mentioned as she sat on the bed. 

Chris looked around the room. It was pretty small, but he wasn't there to live the luxury life he was used to.

Cassie stood silently next to the closed door. 

"How long will you be here?" Carter continued to ask questions. 

"I don't know yet, son, just know that once I'm doing better, I'm coming back home to you and your mom. I'm gonna miss you two." 

Cassie gave a weak smile. She wasn't too happy about him leaving, but she knew that it was for his own good.

Chris noticed the look on Cassie's face and knew what was on her mind. "Come here." He said to her, signaling her to sit on his lap. 

She sat on his lap and glanced at Carter to played on the bed. 

"I'm really sorry that I have to put you through this. I really am, but I want to get better for the two of you." He explained. 

"I know. I just hope time flies because I'm gonna miss you."

"It'll be like me going on tour. I would still be away, right."

"Yeah, but if you were on tour, then I could easily just come to your show. This is much different."

"I know, I was just trying to find some good out the situation."

"I know." She sighed. 

"I'll call you every day." He promised. "Hopefully, I don't run into some crazy fan while I'm here. I just want do this and get it over with."

"I want the same thing. Remember this is for you to get better." She locked her hands into his. 

"We're back home, you're here, and Faith is supposed to be coming soon. Hopefully, we can take you out one day."

"When is she coming?" He asked. 

"In two days."

"Maybe you can call up Allie and Blake can hang with you guys." He suggested. 

"There's something to think about." She said. "Can we take you to dinner before you have to stay in for the night?" She asked. 

"I can ask and see. I do have a curfew here though."

He'd gone to ask if he could leave and come back and he was given permission to do so. They'd gone to dinner and then to the movies. When they came back to the rehabilitation center, Cassie and Carter said their goodbyes to Chris and went home. While at home that evening, Cassie was in her bed when carter came into her bedroom. 

"Mommy, I miss daddy already." He said. 

"Mommy misses him too. How about you sleep with me tonight?" She suggested. She didn't want to sleep alone. 

Carter crawled into the bed and snuggled next to her. 

The next day, Cassie signed carter up for summer camp at the church they attended. She also signed Faith up as well so she can go once she gets there. Carter was super excited about Faith coming for the summer. When he woke up, he thought she was already there. 

As Cassie sat on the sofa with carter, she read a book as he played games on her phone. He's been under her for majority of the day. She had a call coming in and carter handed her cell phone to her.