Chapter 31

Cassie waited at the visitation table for Trenton. After about ten minutes, the door swung open and he walked into the visitation area.

His eyes landed on her and then he smirked. "Hello sunshine. I see you got my gift."

She was not amused. Her face was stern. "What the hell is wrong with you?" She eyed him as he sat down across from her.

"Hey, you asked for it." He shrugged, nonchalantly.

"How could you be this cruel to the mother of your son? The son you obviously don't care about."

"The hell are you talking about, I do care about my son."

"Any man that cares about his child wouldn't dare put them in harm's way."

Trenton didn't respond.

"I don't care how you feel about me, but our son shouldn't see how you are. I don't want him to witness the things you do or say to me and think it's okay."

"I wouldn't dare do that in front of him."

"And you shouldn't do it when he's not around."

"That's the problem Al, he's never around I'm tired of seeing you show up without him. I want to see my son."

Allie let out a sigh. "Give me some time for that."

"Time? How much time do you want? I haven't seen him since he was three. How long are you trying to wait, until he's sixteen?"

"It's just not that simple."

"Why? I know you better not have another man raising my son." He clenched his fist.

"No. It's nothing like that."

"Then what is it?" He asked, wanting to be understanding.

"He's been sick. In and out of the hospital."

Trenton's fist loosened as his eyes softened.

"Blake has lukemia."

Trenton was speechless for a moment and so was Allie. She didn't mean to just throw it at him the way she did, but she figured it would soften him a bit.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to blurt it out like that."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Heasked.

"I couldn't. It was so much going on and it's not likeI can just call you up. I can't even have a decent conversation with you without you getting angry and threatening me."

"I'm sorry. I just-"

"We don't even have a decent relationship with each other. I care about you. I really do, but you're very careless when it comes to me and I hate that."

"I love you. He blurted. 

She was speechless.

"I really do love you." He repeated. "I act that way because I don't want anyone else to have you."

"I"m not even trying to be with anyone else. Blake is my only love, my only concern, and my only interest."

"And you'r my only love." He added. "You and him, just give me the chance to be his father."

"You don't mean that." She said trying not to give in and crack a smile.

"I do. I spend so much time in this place, just thinking and wishing I would have done things much differently back then."

"Like not kill some people?" She asked.

He looked away. "I'm changing."

"Or harm others?"