Chapter 36

Mya's dance company was preparing for one last recital before school started. She invited Dr. Kelsin to the show and before the show started, she told Veronica about him coming before the show began. It was fun for Mya because Veronica had no clue on how he looked. 

Towards the end of the show, Mya's dancers did a surprise piece for her. It wasn't on the program but it was all planned. As she watched it, she was confused when they began to dance to "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack. The song and the dance left Mya in tears. She was so proud of the group that she was able to claim. 

When they were done, they presented her with a going away gift along with a bouquet of red roses. Mya gave Veronica a look, wondering how she pulled this off. She hugged her tightly for over two minutes as the audience clapped.

"That was sooooooo beautiful." Mya cried.

"It was all for you." Veronica responded.

Mya walked to the stage to hug some of her dancers and then began to speak.

"Good evening." She glanced through the dark audience. "I'm very pleased at the turnout we've had this evening. I just want to say, how proud I am of each and every one of my dancers." She glanced back at the group standing behind her. "These ladies have worked extremely hard this summer and also for years, for my older babies." She smiled at her seniors. 

"I want to thank each of every one of you for putting in all the time and effort to make all of this possible. This is not just for the dancers, this is for the parents. However, I can't take all of the credit. I wouldn't have made it this far without someone who is like a hero to me. "Veronica?" Mya tried to spot Veronica from where they were sitting. "Veronica, thank you. From the moment you joined the team, I was nothing but grateful for you." She sniffled, feeling her emotions taking over. She paused and let out a breath.

"You're always right there when I need you. Showed me nothing but loyalty." Her voice cracked. "And I thank God for all that you've done for me and these girls. So thank you." She smiled at Veronica and wiped the tears that fell from her face.

"And to my babies." She turned to her dancers. "Thank you all. Each and every one of you are beyond great at what you do. Your potential is greater than you know and I want you to always remember that. I know that Ms. Veronica and I push you all the time but the push starts with you. You have to want it in order to do it. I love you all and I'm certainly gonna miss you as well." She held her smile with tears. "It's been an amazing experience to watch you grow from little girls to beautiful young ladies and some of you who are still growing. If any of you ever need anything, just know that Ms. Mya is only a call away. Just keep in mind that the time zone is about three hours behind in LA." She giggled.

She looked at a few of the moms who sat close to the stage. 

"As a gift from me to you before I leave, I have some t-shirts I had made for you all and a nice little package backstage for when this is all over. You'll love it." Looking throughout the audience again, "Again, I want to say thank you for attending tonight and hope you all enjoyed the show because I certainly did." She said.

There was hugs coming to Mya from everywhere. Long hugs and tears, mainly her tears. She knew that her dancers were going to miss her and she was going to miss them even more. Once all the greetings died down, she spotted Dr. Kelsin standing nearby the entrance and approached him.

"Hi, you made it!" She said with excitement.

Faith ran up to her suddenly. "Mommy! You were crying on stage. Are you okay?" She asked.