Chapter 49

Mya sat on the couch, watching the morning news. It was the recent national new about a black, teenage boy, had been shot and killed in Tennessee.

"Ma," J.J., appeared and sat next to her. "Can I go to my friend's Rashaud's house?" He asked.

Mya looked at him as be spoke, but her eyes shifted back to the television once he was done asking bus question. The story was scaring her enough since the teenager was killed after being somewhere his parents didn't know he'd be.

"Um, I'm not sure about that, son. I'll have to ask your father, and if he's okay with it, we'll have to talk to his parents first."

He sucked his teeth and let out a frustrated sigh.

"JJ, come look at this?" She pointed to the tv and then patted the space next to her indicating him to sit down.

"What's this?" He asked with a frown.

"This is what you need to be aware of every time you leave this house." She explained.

JJ's focus began to sink into the news reporter.

"Sixteen year old, Travis Gordon was shot in front of his home where he lived with his mother, father, and two siblings. Witnesses says that it was a senseless act of the law enforcement and it's very tragic that it has happened."

"Sweetie, these are the things I fear every time you walk out of this house. I want you to have fun and hang with your friends, however, I want you here, safe and sound with either me or your dad."

"I get it." He sighed. "Dude was young."

"How about I take you to your friend's house, maybe meet his parents as well." She suggested.

"Okay, I just don't want to be stuck at home."

"Give me a few minutes." She rubbed her swollen belly because she felt her baby kick a little.

"Are you okay?" He asked her.

"Yea, I'm fine. I'm gonna go to the restroom then I'm gonna get your sisters."

"Okay." He stayed until she got up and left the living room.

They were all in the car and JJ guided them to his friend's address. He lived about ten minutes away. The house was much bigger than theirs and their house was big enough.

"Wow, are they rich?" Heaven asked.

"Shut up." JJ said from the passenger seat.

There was a gate wrapped around their house and a code required to get in. "Um how am I supposed to get in here?"

JJ already had the phone to his ear calling his friend. "Hey, man, we're outside the gate." The gate opened just a moment after JJ made that statement through the phone.

"Wow, this is huge." Mya commented as she drove through the driveway that wrapped around a fountain.

"Look mommy, they have a little pool!" Faith pointed to the fountain.

"No, baby, that's a fountain." Mya corrected her.

They all got out and walked to the large double doors and JJ rang the doorbell.

An elderly black woman's opened the door. "Hello." She greeted with a warm smile.

"Hi," Mya responded.

"Rashaud is on his way down." She said, opening the door wider for them all to walk in.

"Are you his mother?" Mya asked.