Chapter 16

Mya was shaken up by what happened in their home. The policemen left the house over thirty minutes ago and Mya was rocking with Zion in her arms.

"Sweetheart, how about you go get some rest, I'll take care of her." He stretched his arms out.

"No," Mya shook her head, holding Zion closer to her.

"Mya, you need to rest. Everything is okay. I'm here."

"That woman just tried to kill me! Do you really think I can sleep or rest at all right now?"

"I'm here." He said calmly. "So you'll be just fine."

"I'm sure this happened because you are here. Out of any woman you got to screw, you chose a crazy one?  Way to go, Jordan. You're such a smart man." She said, sarcastically.

Mya paced back and forth, nervous about what to do next. "We're not staying here tonight."

"No, don't leave. You guys don't need to be anywhere but home." Jordan said.

"Apparently, being at home isn't safe for us." Mya responded.

"I will be here with you guys."

"Do you really think that's what I want?" She questioned.

Zion began to cry and Mya went to the stairs. "Don't follow me." She said as she walked up the stairs.

Jordan stood still as he watched his wife walk up the stairs. That moment only added on to the many times she turned away from him.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, catching Jordan off guard. He made his way to the front door and opened it. He was extremely surprised to see his mother-in-law.

"Ms. Paulette?" Jordan almost couldn't believe his eyes.

"Where's my daughter?" She asked in a demanding tone, storming into the house.

"Mya." She called out Mya's name as she roamed the house.

"Mama?" Mya said from the top of the stairs when she heard her mother's voice. She walked down the stairs, finally seeing her mom.

"Oh, my baby." Paulette embraced her daughter in a big hug, squeezing her tightly.

"Mama," Mya gently pulled away from her mom, "what are you doing here?"

"Chile, something in my spirit was bothering me, telling me that something was going on with you."

"I'm fine, mama." Mya said. "You should have called."

"Where are my grandbabies?" She asked, looking around. "You done had a new baby and didn't tell ya Mama." She shook her head add though she were disappointed.

"They're sleeping right now."

"What's going on with you?" Paulette cupped Mya's face.

"Mama," Mya turned her head, so that her mother's hands weren't on her face. Why didn't you call before you came?" She questioned.

"Is that how you welcome your mother into your home? I drove all the way from Houston to see my only child and this is the greeting I get?" Paulette fussed.

Mya let out a weak sigh. She didn't want to deal with her mother, but she knew her mom was going to get under her skin. 

Mya walked through the foyer and into the kitchen with her mother following her, "Now it's pretty clear to me that something bad is happening." Paulette stated as she observed the mess in the kitchen.

Mya picked her cell phone up from the countertop. "Mama, can you just go sit in the livingroom and watch tv or get settled in the guest room while I clean this mess up, please?" Mya was getting annoyed. She grabbed the broom from the side of the pantry.