Chapter 35

Cassie received a call from her mom to come to the house. She knew that her mom wanted to talk to her about her big blow up from before.

When she arrived, Celest was sitting at the dining room table with her parents and Carmen.

"Have a seat." Mrs. Nelson said, pointing to the empty chair at the table. 

There was tension in the room. It felt like her younger days when she and her sisters would get in trouble and their parents would have all kinds of talks with them at that very table.

As soon as she was settled in her chair, her dad spoke.

"You girls have been getting out of control lately. We didn't raise you be this way towards each other."

For once, Cassie was happy about the silence she was getting from Celest.

"What's was all that about the other day?" She asked, looking at Cassie, wanting the response from her.

"She needs to stay out of my business." Cassie pointed to Celest.

"But you need to air out her business the way that you did." Their dad interjected. "We know what happened back then and it was hard for her and you know that."

Cassie frowned at her father. "And it's not hard for me to deal with the fact that my husband has a drug addiction and is in rehab on top of other things I'm dealing with?" She questioned. "It's one thing that media would be in my business, that means everyone knows, however, you guys as my family, shouldn't throw it in my face when I'm going through such a time." She was really directing her statement to Celest.

Carmen awkwardly sat in silence, staring between everyone at the table.

"For so long, y'all let her voice her opinion about my life and Carmen's life, but not once has anyone said anything to Celest. She thinks she runs this family for some reason, but she doesn't." Cassie complained. "So, yes, I did feel the need to throw that in her face. I'm sure if I had a baby young and gave it up, she would have been thrown that in my face! She swears that I married my husband for his money, so I treat her like everyone else. Her opinion doesn't matter to me, therefore I ignore her, but lately she's been on the ball and I'm tired of it."

There was silence again. 

"I wouldn't stoop that low if you'd done the same thing." Celest finally spoke.

"You would if it had happened to me and not you." Cassie pointed out. "Every little thing that we do, you're always there to rub it in our faces. Be a big sister for once and just be there for us. I mean, damn, mama and daddy don't even do that to us! What makes you feel obligated to do it?"

"Lower your voice, Cassandra." Her father said.

Cassie sucked her teeth.

"I'm just tired of you walking around here like you're our mother and that you live some perfect life, because as far as I know you're not." Cassie glanced at everyone else at the table after she spoke. 

"I'm with Cas." Carmen spoke up. "I've always respected you as my sister, but sometimes you take it far. That's why we don't really talk to you." She shrugged lightly. 

"I just try to give you guys the love that you won't do the things I've done. Make the same mistakes I've made."

"Pssshhh!" Cassie chuckled sarcastically. "Do you really think we're not smart enough to not do what you've done? We see where it's gotten you!"

Celest frowned, "And exactly where do you see it's gotten me?" She asked, folding her arms.

"You really want to know what I see?" Cassie questioned, sitting up in her chair. "I see an old, bitter, lonely woman. You spend so much time here, I'd think you moved in here! Don't you have a life somewhere other than your parent's house?" She asked.