Chapter 37

It was the kid's first day of school and Mya and Jordan had taken Faith, Heaven, and JJ to school. Cassie came over to help them pack and left Carter with her parents. They were packing the children's room and talking about what happened when Cassie had a talk with her family.

"Why would you say that to her?" Mya asked as she taped up a box and wrote on the label. They were packing JJ's bedroom.

"I didn't want to, it was the only thing I could say that would shut her up."

"But that was pretty harsh. As a mother, you should know that the one thing that'll cut you deep is someone talking about your child, right?" Mya suggested.

Cassie sighed. "I mean, yea, but-"

"But nothing!" Mya snapped. "If someone bring up any of my kids, I'd probably snap. You were wrong for that and you need to apologize to her."

"Shouldn't you be on my side?" Cassie sucked her teeth.

"No, you were wrong for that and you need to tell her that you're sorry. I'm not gonna defend you through everything, especially when I know that you're dead wrong. Bringing up her son is obviously a touching subject for her, and you as her sister should have known better than to throw it in her face like that. Would you do that to me?" She asked.

Cassie frowned at her.

"Would you bring up my daughter in a situation like that?" Mya repeated the question with a little clarification.

"No, that's just cruel." Cassie responded.

"And you don't think it's cruel what you said to Celest?" 

Cassie's body language slouched over in guilt and she sighed. 

"I get that you two don't get along too well, but she is your sister. At least you have siblings. I didn't have siblings, so the only people I got to fuss and fight with my parents, mainly my mother and trust me, that was nothing fun." Mya rolled her eyes.

"I have another sister, so it's nothing."

"It is not nothing. She is your sister. It doesn't matter if you have another. What if she were your only sister, if so, you just ruined the sisterhood code right there." 

"How would you know, you don't even have a sister?" Cassie folded her arms.

Mya whipped her head around to stare at Cassie. "I have you and you're as close to a sister that I have, and I wouldn't dare throw your business at you as if you hadn't learned from it or if it wouldn't get to you. That's disrespectful and you, miss thang, has disrespected your sister."

Cassie sucked her teeth again. "Why did I ever become friends with you? You're always right about stuff that I talk to you about."

"I know." Mya gloated.

"Ugh!"

"I bet your parents probably said the same thing I said to you. You need to start listening to them, I'm not ya mama." Mya began filling up another box. "Because if I were, I would have slapped some sense into you talking to your sister like that. And if I were Celest, I probably would have slapped again. Therefore, you would have been slapped twice, harder the second time."

Cassie chuckled. "Shut up."

"I'm just saying." Mya shrugged.

"I'm just not ready to talk to her. I have enough stuff going on and the last thing I need to do is sort things out with Celest, that could take years."