Chapter 39

Cassie and Carter were back home in Atlanta and were leaving the rehab from visiting Chris. Cassie was very excited because Chris had shared with her that he'll be coming home in a week and he wanted it to be a surprise for Carter.

Cassie made phone calls so that she could have some people over for when Chris gets home. One call she made was to Allie. 

"Hello?" Allie answered the phone in a dry tone.

"Hey, how are you?" Cassie asked.

"I'm making it. How are you?" She asked in return.

"Just fine." Cassie answered. "How's Blake?"

Allie let out a heavy sigh that was full of emotions. "He's hanging on. We're still at the hospital."

"Is it okay if we stop by?" Cassie asked. "Carter has been asking about him."

"Sure, that's fine." Allie approved. 

Within another hour, Cassie and Carter were at the hospital.

Allie and Cassie were standing outside the room talking while Carter was inside with Blake.

"I really hope I'm not out of line when I ask you this, but I feel that you and Chris are the only ones I can really talk to about this or trust enough."

"About what?" Cassie asked with concern.

"If something ever happens to me-" she paused.

Cassie frowned, not understanding where that statement came from or where it's going.

"I'm sick." She said. "Very sick, and if anything were to happen to me, would you and Chris ever consider taking Blake in?" She asked.

"Sick? What's wrong?"

"I'm surprise you hadn't notice how thin I am and how thin I'm becoming." Allie responded. "When I first found out I was pregnant with Blake, I also found out that I was HIV positive." She explained. "It's taking over, slowly, but surely. With Blake being sick, I haven't been able to take care of myself because I'd rather fight for his life than for mine."

"Allie, you have to take care of yourself too."

"It's hard." Tears filled her eyes. "Being a single parent with very little to no help, it's hard. I can't go to my family about this, I don't trust them, but I trust you."

"Me?"

"Yes. You're a great mother to Carter and Blake loves you guys. And Trent..." Her voice trailed off. "Trent is here. I'd much rather Blake know this part of his family."

"This is really something I'd have to talk with Chris about." cassie said not wanting to decline her request. She loved Blake and she would love to help Allie.

"Of course. That, I do understand."

"But you really need to take care of yourself." Cassie said. "From one mother to another. You're a strong woman and that I know for sure. You're a freakin superhero to me." Cassie let out a giggle. "You're Blake's superhero and he needs you and in order for you to be there for him, you have to be good yourself."

"I wish it worked like that. They're trying o admit me into the hospital and I certainly don't have time for that." Allie shook her head. "No one can be here for Blake like me."

"Of course not because no one can be his mother, but you."

"It's just so hard." She cried.

Catching herself off guard, Cassie opened her harms and embraced Allie with a hug and she cried on her shoulder. It felt great to Cassie to comfort another person, just as great as it felt to Allie to have a shoulder to cry on for once.