Chapter 1 : Contacts

"Next fight!"

...

"And the winner is: the representative of the Republic of Korea, Yang Jungwon!"

*****

Sena was a girl coming from a little family composed of her and her mother. She used to like music since a baby, so she had started learning how to play piano. She didn't have many friends, or rather she didn't have friends at all. She used to stay alone.

Sena was going to school as usual. It was sunny outside, the air was warmth with a little bit of wind blowing her hair.

On the road, she saw something shining under the sun. She approached the object and she realised that it was a key ring. The key ring looked alike a safe pin with a key. She picked it up , analyzed the key ring with interest and looked around to see who it might belong to and who might have dropped it. Nobody in sight. She put it in her pocket, and continued walking to the school.

Arriving in the hall, heading for her classroom, she bumped into someone's back.

"Sorry" she said.

The person turned around and looked at her. It was Yang Jungwon. She knew who he was, but she had never talked to him. He seemed to be preoccupied by something, as if he was looking for something, or someone. But after she bumped into him, he looked at her confused, and surprised, as if she just woke him up from his thoughts.

He stared at her, and finally he smiled. He didn't react or answer her. He just smiled and left the place without talking, answering.
She looked at him while he left . She knew that he was very famous in this school because of the taekwondo. So many people respected him. But,... he always stayed alone. Often alone. You could barely see him through the entrance hall.

In the end, they looked very much alike. Being lonely. Liking their passion.

*****

The day was long and boring for Sena, but she was excited for the end of the day, because she had the music lesson.
It was two times a week, and she was more interested in this lesson than any other lessons of the day. Music was something so important for her.

After the class, she went to the music class at the amphitheater quickly.
She often played piano. She loved that, and enjoyed the sound of the notes. Music was almost her safe place, when she felt sad, anxious, she just had to sing, or to play piano and she would feel better.
She went to the amphitheater and started to have a sit, waiting for her teacher. She started to play a famous song.
It was Una mattina of Ludovico Einaudi.
She started the music in the silent amphi.

*****

Jungwon walked towards the cafeteria when he heard a sound. Something like a music. A beautiful music coming from the amphitheater. He stopped trying to know where the music came from.
Out of curiosity , he went towards the door of the amphitheater and opened it. Slowly. Silently.

He realised that the sound was coming from someone playing piano. She was the girl he just met before, in front of the school.
He stared at her, listening to her music. He was almost hypnotized by her. He wanted to be discret. Silent. The most he could.
He admired how beautiful she played. Every notes made him have goosebumps.

But unfortunately, he dropped his phone on the floor. A sound resounded in the amphitheater, making her stop playing piano.
She turned her head and looked at him.
She gasped when she realised it was him. The silence was loud, made the atmosphere oppresive and uncomfortable.

"Hm-" she mustered, hesitating.

They looked at each other. They didn't talk. It was as if time stopped to let them stare at each other. No words. No actions. But suddenly, Jungwon broke the silence.

"It was beautiful. Good job." he finally said after few minutes of silence.

Then he left the room, closing slowly the door, after going to the cafeteria.

She watched the door softly closing, as if she could see him walking far away through it. She was thinking about what had just happened. She didn't know if it was really Jungwon or anyone else, or if she was just dreaming.

"Thank you." she whispered alone.

*****