Negotiator and Mediator and. . . Sai

"Tell us what you know about Sasuke!"

"Where is he? What has he done with our master?!"

*****

It was a few days after Sasuke, Moriko, and the others left for Shikkotsu. Gaara and the rest of the Sand nin that came to help protect Konoha departed for Suna that morning. I found myself looking for Naruto shortly after, wondering why he wasn't there to see Gaara off since we were all good friends now.

It occurred to me that Danzo might attempt to keep Naruto away from Suna nin, saying it was a "security risk" for them to interact despite all they had done for us and vice versa. That kinda ticked me off, but Kakashi-sensei and Naruto said to expect it and to keep calm for their sakes, as well as Tsunade-sama's.

Lady Shizune and I haven't yet heard back from her aside from a bird carrier message confirming she arrived at the Fire Daiymo's residence. I must admit, that made me less worried about her traveling alone, but more worried on how the discussion is going. She needs to get her title back as kage, and fast.

Danzo's plans for Konoha, for Naruto. . .

Something must be done about them. He can't keep Naruto trapped here.

He can't just take Kakashi-sensei's jonin vest, and Lady Tsume's too.

And he can't make Sasuke out to be a rogue nin. Especially after helping us with Pain's attack. The entire village sees him and Naruto as heroes!

It's not fair!

I find myself grumbling beneath my breath, all the things I dislike about the man as I continue to look for Naruto. The hope that Naruto isn't being escorted around by Root nin is dwindling with each step. I've been busy in the hospital the past couple of days, so I haven't seen much of him. No causalities thanks to Team Hero of the Leaf, but plenty of injuries were still reported both during and after the attack from both shinobi and civilians alike. Plus, the village is in the midst of major reconstruction. Many construction-related injuries: back injuries, burns, mild concussions from falling debris. It's been hectic, but surprisingly, not as scary as I thought it'd be, especially without Lady Tsunade here to help direct things.

Lady Shizune was busy collecting reports from Pain's attack and organizing it to send to Danzo, so I have actually been the one handling the bulk of medical-related emergencies along with the head doctors and nurses. Despite age differences, my medical knowledge put me on par with our medical professionals in the hospital, and my skills in healing were needed in the absence of Tsunade-sama.

Big shoes to fill, but I did my absolute best. The doctors were pleased, and patients were happy.

That's all I could ever want; everyone to leave happy and healthy.

Still, it felt. . . odd, filling in for Tsunade-sama. People coming to me for guidance. It didn't feel wrong, but rather surprising that I could roll with the punches and came up with solutions quickly. Everyone whispered their praise to me, saying Tsunade-sama would be proud if she were here.

I sure hope so. And even if that wasn't the case; after Ieaving the hospital today, I was proud of myself.

***Flashback***