CHAPTER 17: Halls

October 30, 2088, 10:00 am
Dr.Spade 

Timur watches me intently both day and night. He thinks I can not notice him in every corner of the halls. At first, I thought, if it was imagination, why would a killer want to spend his time with a dying woman? Slowly I started to see the objects I needed to appear in front of me. The facility worked like the old time. Everything was on paper, the doctor didn't trust us to have digital copies of any of the findings. He said that what we deal with is more confidential than Area 51.
"I need to see the subject's eating habits from the last 2 weeks," I said to the open air around me. A few seconds later I saw Timur slides a purple folder my way.
"Aren't all the folders supposed to be yellow or gray?" I ask him, knowing the answer.
"But you wish they weren't, you wanted to color code things," he says almost robotically.
"Page 36, paragraph 4: ' Friends of any sort are not allowed in this place you, any caught attempt of companionship can lead to death by injection'," I repeat and hand him that dictionary-sized set of rules we have to follow.
"Why do you care? You're not going to last much longer anyways?" It was a genuine question that I didn't know how to answer.
"I would like for there not to be any extra interactions when I am in the lab. I'm dealing with very important chemicals that can damage our DNA just by inhaling it. Put on the safety suit if you plan to be here any longer."
He backs away and leaves the room but comes back shortly later with the safety equipment on like I had asked him to and takes a chair next to me. We stay like this till a few more hours when I have to take my round of medication. But even in those moments, he stays by my side, not leaving to use the bathroom or even complaining about the fact we have eaten all day.
"So what's your job?" timur blurts out after maybe 4 hours of silence. Me being bored myself I choose to answer. " I have a Ph.D. in psychology, a master's of Science in Genetics, bachelors in pharmacy, biology, and chemistry. The doctor heard of my discoveries in mental disorder medication and thought I would be a good fit for the program due to my wide range of knowledge. I'm supposed to make sure the subject doesn't completely go insane and this-" I lift a tiny blue pill "keeps the subject and the bird stable."
"Without this one of them can destroy the other. The doctor is very proud of his creation but it has one flaw. It can self-district, the main reason the subject is treated the way he is has a reason. The doctor thinks that if he gains too much mental stability he can override the bird and kill him or at least do something that will pretty much do that."