«𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦-𝑆𝑖𝑥»

As soon as they had entered the trauma centre, Aaron was wheeled inside the ICU.

When the hospital learnt about who Destiny was, high positioned doctors came to take Aaron's case, though nothing could ease the girl's heart.

Sasha remained by her side, rubbing her arm. Trying to be as useful as possible.

"Destiny, you should call your parents." She softly said.

Destiny was staring blankly ahead, she didn't even shed any tear, she felt hollow deep inside. There was still blood on her hands from wiping Aaron's mouth.

"Destiny." Sasha called again when she didn't reply.

She turned to her finally but stared at her face with a void look.

"Hm?"

"You must inform your parents. Should I call them for you?"

Destiny didn't know if she could handle anyone else's aching heart at this moment. She needed to be left alone. It was all too much.

"Not now." She replied in monotone.

Sasha stayed quiet afterwards.

After what felt like an eternity passed in remote silence, a doctor walked out of the ICU, removing his gloves and mask.

Destiny sprang on her feet and ran to him, not saying anything but her eyes asked everything.

"His vitals are stable." He began, Destiny almost collapsed from relief but held her ground. She could sense a 'but' in his tone.

"What happened?" She asked coldly. Sasha and Kayde by her side.

The doctor, whose name tag read Joseph, sighed and looked scared for a moment before replying.

"He was poisoned. A slow kind. He had that poison in him for a whole night. Most of the substance had already blended inside but we did our best to flush out as much as possible.

The rest depends on Aaron himself. How his body fights and recovers. We can't tell if he'll be able to get out of it or not. But we did and will continue to do our best to get him out of it."

Destiny's lips trembled as she blinked rapidly, digesting his words. Her crazy eyes roamed around for a split second then turned back at Joseph.

"When will he wake up?"

Doctor Joseph sighed again and shared a glance with Sasha and Kayde, all of them realizing really well that the billionaire wasn't in her right mind right now.

The only solution was to state the truth out, clear. No matter how hurtful it might be.

"Mrs. Archer, we don't know if your husband's body is strong enough to fight the poison and wake up, ever again. We can only pray and hope for the best."

He could literally see Destiny's world shattering right through her eyes and sympathetically patted her hand before leaving her standing there like a frozen statue.

--------

*One month later*

"Here's the papers you asked for."

"Thanks, Sasha." Destiny smiled at her, taking the file to go through the papers for the new contract.

"I've got them checked by Fin and Jake, everything's okay for you to accept it."

Nodding to her words, Destiny got her pen off the table and quickly signed the designated spots. Finalizing a new contract that'd make sure her companies thrive.

She felt happy after a long time.

She handed the papers back to Sasha who took her leave from her office. Just as Destiny was putting the pen back down on the holder, her eyes fell on the photo on her desk.

A silver framed photo of her and her beloved husband's. It was taken on their first date night.

Destiny had her arms wrapped around Aaron's shoulders from behind as she admired his side profile, while Aaron held her arms from the front and was laughing at something she'd said.

Even amidst the darkness of the night, their smiles illuminated the photo, and Destiny felt a tug at her heart.

Softly smiling, she let her finger trace over the beautiful capture.

"I'll be home soon, baby."

Destiny wrapped up her work by evening, and left her office building around 5 pm.

She was about to get in the car when Sasha came running to her, panting a little indicating she ran fast to catch up to her.

"What is it?" Destiny asked, feeling rather anxious by her secretary's expression.

Gasping for breath, Sasha put a hand over her knee to catch air. "W-we got him."

And just like that, Destiny's mood lifted, eyes darkening and hand gripping the car door tighter.

A smirk formed on her face as she clenched her other hand, heart wrenching painfully inside her chest.

"Start the preparation. I'll meet you on the spot on time."

Sasha nodded, a wide smile painted on her face as she raised a thumb at her boss.

Destiny got in the car and the whole way to her apartment, she couldn't keep her heart from leaping and jumping as several ideas played in her mind.

"I'm so sorry, baby. I hurried home but still got late." She said as soon as she got home and quickly put away her coat and bag. "But I've got good news." She excitedly added.

Removing her shoes, blouse, skirt, Destiny got in a hoodie and sweatpants, climbing on the bed with a grin.

"I got him, baby. I got that bastard and now he's gonna pay for what he did to you. It wasn't easy escaping him and his man from jail, but we did it. Now, he's gonna see actual hell.

I promised you, didn't I? It's gonna be my anniversary gift for you. Just you wait and see. But I need you to be h-here for it." She swallowed as her voice tended to crack.

As delicately as one could, Destiny took his hand in hers, bringing it up to place a kiss on the back of it.

"I-I need you here w-with me. You- you can't leave me alone on o- our first anniversary, Aaron."

One by one tear drops cascaded down her face but she vigorously wiped them away. She refused to fall weak, not in front of Aaron.

She needed to stay strong for the both of them. But how long? She was breaking inside.

"Come back to me, baby. Please. I can't carry on without you much longer. I need you h-here. Please, Aaron."

She slowly laid herself down beside the boy who'd been lying on their bed, motionless, for the past month, without showing any sign of movement.

Destiny rested her head against his and put an arm over his torso, closing her eyes she focused on the heart monitor continuously and steadily beating, giving her hopes of a future when they'd be together again.

----------

Vote & comment.