7

A dark blue Corvette sped along the roads of San Mateo. Dionne looked out the car window, observing the scenery. Towering trees like acacia and mango were neatly lined beside the road, with rice fields resembling golden grass dancing in the wind. The harvest season was approaching, so every field they passed was golden with ripe rice. Dionne took out her cell phone and changed the song on her playlist to listen through her AirPods, comfortably leaning back on the brown leather seat; the Corvette smelled pleasantly of blueberry air freshener, turning Dionne to sigh contentedly as she closed her eyes.

"Will you stop that?" Charlotte's voice interrupted her drift into sleep.

"You should stop ignoring me and have a conversation," Dionne said, eyes still closed. "Not my fault if I get sleepy."

Charlotte kept her focus on the road while driving.

"Why didn't you bring Simeon? Or Carlos?" Dionne asked.

Charlotte sighed. "I prefer to be alone when I'm here—no need for them to tag along. I know San Mateo like the back of my hand; this place is my haven. I practically grew up here."

"Are you regretting not asking them? Now, you're stuck with me," Dionne said with a smile.

Charlotte glanced at her briefly. "That depends on how long I can tolerate you."

Dionne yawned and covered her mouth. "Your car is so good," she stretched in her seat. "It makes me sleepy in a comfortable way."

"You can sleep. We still have an hour's drive."

Dionne turned seriously to her companion. "You won't leave me in a desolate place while I'm sleeping or throw my body into the lake?" She also flashed a playful smile.

Charlotte laughed, her dimples deepening. "Of course not! Do you sleep so soundly that you wouldn't wake up?"

Dionne couldn't help but notice Charlotte's dimples up close, focusing on them as she laughed. "I'm just making sure," she said, then turned her attention back to the road.

"Why don't you like commitment in a relationship?" Charlotte asked, glancing briefly at Dionne before returning her gaze to the road.

"Wow, you know how to start a conversation. We won't start throwing daggers if we talk, right?" Dionne said amusedly, removing her AirPods and placing them back in their case.

"Marcus told me. It's fine if you don't want to talk about it. What I said earlier, it's water under the bridge."

"Is that your way of apologizing?"

"Probably?" Charlotte said seriously, turning to Dionne.

Dionne just shrugged. "I can't blame you. You're probably right. You don't want him to get hurt. I also have no intention of hurting someone. Is there a club or community for people like me? I think I should join."

"A club? What do you mean?"

"You know, for people like me who don't believe in commitment or relationships. It's always been seen negatively. What's wrong with having fun with someone and not expecting too much? It's like telling a person that chocolates are all I can offer, and if I give that chocolate, there's always someone who wants more and expects my heart, my soul, and some romantic stuff that I'm obliged to give. That's what I've been telling them from the start. Then they get attached, they want more, and if they can't have it, I end up being the bad person. I just don't get it," Dionne explained.

"Maybe you're having fun with the wrong people who easily get attached and can't see the difference between fun and falling in love. Did you say 'them'? How many hearts did you break?" Charlotte responded teasingly.