33

A gentle breeze guided through the park. It was four in the afternoon, yet the sun's rays remained vivid, casting an orange color over the surroundings as it neared the horizon. The river in front of the park remained peaceful, with a few boats seen drifting along its course while others fed the ducks and geese leisurely swimming in its waters. Birds danced in the sky, some gliding gracefully while others, startled by passing boats, took flight alongside them.

The park was surrounded by Jacaranda trees, their graceful blue, pink, and white petals gracefully falling. Picnic blankets were spread out on the grass, and some people played frisbee, others jogged, and some sat on benches with their dogs.

Carefully, Charlotte placed the sandwich container in the middle of the blanket, seated herself beside it, and unveiled the neatly stacked sandwiches. Lost in thought, she arranged the sandwiches, encircled by chips and fruits. "You could help, you know, instead of just admiring my sandwich artistry from afar," Charlotte said with a slight frown while adjusting the sandwiches to perfection.

"I wouldn't dream of disrupting the maestro at work. Your attention to sandwich alignment might win us a prize," Dionne replied with a grin, standing nearby with a cooler of drinks.

Charlotte looked up, scowling playfully. "Very funny. Maybe you could pass me the drinks if you weren't so busy accepting imaginary awards?"

Dionne chuckled, taking a seat and handing her a cold bottle of mineral water. "Here you go, Your Highness. No need to get your royal hands dirty."

Charlotte rolled her eyes. "Oh, thank you ever so much, peasant. Your loyalty shall be rewarded with the finest crumbs of my potato chips."

The laughter of the two intertwined with the gentle rustle of the Jacaranda leaves. Charlotte's hair caught the sunlight while her cheeks glowed with a hint of blush under the daylight.

"You know, sometimes I wonder if you'd rather be anywhere else but here, dealing with my over-the-top picnic setups and bad royalty jokes," Charlotte remarked, her voice playful as they sat in the middle of the falling petals of the Jacaranda trees.

Dionne plucked a dry Jacaranda leaf from Charlotte's shoulder, her deep brown eyes gleaming affectionately. "Nowhere else in the world. These over-the-top picnics? They're my favorite part of the week. And your jokes? They're not that bad. Well, mostly," she replied with a grin, her gaze lingering on Charlotte.

Charlotte's dimples deepened as she smiled. "I'm glad. Because, well, there's something I've been meaning to say... I just... I'm not good at this stuff," she confessed, her voice softening as she glanced down, a faint blush gracing her cheeks.

Dionne's smile softened, her heart swelling with affection. "What, confessing your undying love for me?" she teased gently, inching closer to Charlotte. "I can coach you through it if you want. Step one: Say, 'Dionne, you are the light of my life.'" She reached out, playfully nudging Charlotte's shoulder with her arm.

Charlotte chuckled softly, her eyes reflecting fondness. "It's more like, 'Dionne, despite your terrible coaching tips, I somehow, inexplicably, find myself completely and hopelessly in love with you,'" she said with humor and sincerity.

Dionne's cheeks flushed as she suppressed a grin, her eyes glinting affectionately. "That was beautiful. Really," she said, attempting to mask her feelings with a playful tone, pretending to wipe away tears from her eyes. "And just for the record, I love you too—your precision with picnic angles, terrible puns, and even your grumpy morning face."

Charlotte leaned her head against Dionne's shoulder, her heart swelling with warmth at her words. "Well, I'm glad my 'incredible' qualities include the grumpy mornings. You know, it's a serious condition. It requires lots of care, perhaps even... daily affirmations of love and occasional picnics?" she said with a hint of seriousness laced with humor.