3

"More champagne, ma'am?" the stewardess courteously offered, her hands deftly handling a bottle wrapped in a white towel, freshly retrieved from an ice-filled bucket nearby. "Sure," Dionne replied with a welcoming nod, her eyes catching the bubbles ascending like tiny balloons in the flute's pale amber liquid. Enjoy your flight, Miss Lucas." The stewardess smiled sincerely.

"Thanks," Dionne answered, her gaze drifting back toward the window, where she admired the clouds. She savored her champagne while watching the clouds meandering by from the sunlight's glow. "Do you like it?" Marcus inquired, his voice drawing her attention from the clouds.

Dionne turned towards him. "This is splendid. It's impossible not to enjoy—aboard a private plane, no less." She gently placed the champagne glass on the compact table beside her. "I was bracing for a commercial flight, perhaps even a road trip. This is an unexpected pleasure."

Marcus seemed to struggle for a moment, running his fingers through his hair in a gesture of slight discomfort. "We don't usually opt for commercial flights. Private aviation is our standard for domestic travels," he revealed with embarrassment and a half-smile. "It's just how we do things—my mom, Charlotte, and me. Does it make you uncomfortable?" Concern laced his question, his brow furrowing slightly at the thought.

Dionne was quick to reassure him, shaking her head. "No, not at all. I'm simply astonished. This is far beyond my expectations." Noticing Marcus's expression soften, she lifted her glass again, a gesture of genuine delight. "Honestly, this is the most extraordinary flight I've ever experienced. Just don't let me get too accustomed to this luxury. It might be hard to return to regular travel."

Marcus's worry dissipated, replaced by a smile. "I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying it. And honestly, I wouldn't mind if you did get accustomed to it." He then settled back, adopting a more relaxed posture as he extended his legs onto the footrest.

Seizing a moment of quiet, Dionne flipped open her laptop, her eyes looking through her inbox before her fingers began to type across the keyboard.

"You're not working now, are you?" Marcus asked, his tone laced with surprise as he glanced at her screen.

Dionne paused, meeting his gaze. "It's nothing too strenuous. Just tying up some loose ends before a deadline," she explained, then returned her focus to the laptop.

"You're meant to be on vacation, Dionne. You should take this time to unwind."

She couldn't help but smirk at his comment. "Well, someone's got to pay the bills."

Marcus chuckled. "Fair enough. Just don't paint me as some out-of-touch rich guy."

Dionne's lips curled into a playful smile. "Never! Though 'spoiled' might be a more fitting term," she teased.

Marcus's next comment caught her off guard. "You and Charlotte should hit it off quite well."

Pausing her typing, Dionne looked up. "Why's that?"

"Charlotte's just as driven—always buried in her work, from legal cases to organizing everything imaginable. She never stops. Even our mom has stopped trying to set her up with someone."

"But she must have a boyfriend, right? You've met her dates before?" Dionne asked, her face flushing slightly at the thought; she resumed typing on her laptop.

Marcus pondered for a moment. "I remember a couple of guys she dated, but I was in school then. No one since."

"Oh? Is she too picky?" Dionne casually asked, her gaze fixed on her laptop screen.

Marcus shrugged. "I don't think so. Charlotte is very private about those things. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up single, or she might even have a secret family already," he said with a laugh.