32

Dionne's cell phone buzzed softly, drawing her attention away from the waiting room of Dr. Cruz's clinic. She fished it out of her bag and read the message from Tracy: I've already arranged your hotel reservation as you requested. Miranda also approved your two-week day off. It's the Grand Bay Hotel, as per your preference. I've arranged a two-week stay starting from the day of your arrival. The words brought a slight relief to Dionne's tense shoulders. She carefully placed her phone back in her bag and leaned back in her seat, letting the information sink in.

"Miss Lucas? Dr. Cruz will see you now," a woman wearing glasses seated nearby announced in a professional tone. She rose from her seat and headed to the break room, presumably to prepare some tea.

Dionne stood up and entered Dr. Cruz's office.

"Good afternoon, Dionne. Please have a seat," Dr. Cruz greeted warmly, motioning towards the chair in front of her desk. Dionne nodded in acknowledgment and sat, her mind racing with thoughts and emotions. "Thank you, Dr. Cruz," she replied softly, her voice tinged with nervousness. "I'm sorry for bothering you; we already talked on the phone, but I'm still feeling confused," Dionne admitted, her brows furrowed. "Dr. Cruz, it's like I'm carrying the weight of my past on my shoulders, suffocating under the burden of memories that won't let me go," she confessed, her fingers absently twirling a lock of hair as she spoke.

Dr. Cruz listened attentively, her expression sympathetic as she observed Dionne's distress. "It sounds like your childhood left deep scars, Dionne. Can you tell me more about how it's affecting you now?"

Dionne took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts before speaking. "My mom was never there for me, always chasing after her happiness, leaving me to fend for myself. And my dad... he loved me, but he couldn't protect me from the pain when my mom left him. He died of a broken heart, and I was left alone, feeling abandoned and betrayed," she recounted, her voice laced with sorrow and longing for understanding.

"It's understandable that those experiences would leave a lasting impact on you, Dionne. How do you think they're affecting your current relationship?" Dr. Cruz asked gently.

Dionne took a deep breath. "Do you remember when I told you how a person can love someone if everything around her is destroyed? Why loving a person has a greater consequence of ruining something that wasn't broken? It's the reason why I hated my mother and her lover," Dionne explained, her eyes clouded with intense sadness. "In a sense, I get to understand my mom, but the downside of it I will soon become the person that I hate," she added, looking to Dr. Cruz for understanding. "Do you get my point? Loving someone has a greater consequence; I might ruin the relationship between siblings."

Dr. Cruz nodded empathetically. "It sounds like you're grappling with guilt and fear."

Dionne absentmindedly twisted the ring on her index finger. "My dad was the one who showed me love, but even his love couldn't shield me from the pain when my mom left him for another man. Watching him suffer broke something inside me. I was just a kid trying to understand it all, but the scars from those days run deep. They affect how I see love and relationships now. I'm terrified of repeating the same mistakes, of causing the same pain to those I care about," Dionne confessed, leaning back in her chair and sighing. "I know I need to deal with my past, to confront the trauma and move forward, but it feels like an impossible task. I'm lost in my fears and insecurities, unsure if I'll ever find my way out," she added, gesturing with her hand as she spoke.

"It seems like you're trying to protect yourself and those you care about from experiencing the pain you went through. But Dionne, you're not your mother. You have the power to break free from the patterns of your past," Dr. Cruz advised.

Dionne still seemed unconvinced as she stood up and paced around the office. "I know, but I'm trapped in this cycle of fear and uncertainty. I love Charlotte so much, but I can't shake the feeling that loving her comes with consequences," she confessed, glancing briefly at Dr. Cruz's chair. "I can't live with myself if I hurt Marcus or Charlotte like my mom hurt my dad."