17

"There you are. Don't you want to enjoy the party?" Dionne greeted as she caught up with Charlotte on the veranda. The celebration had already started, and from the bottom of the veranda, people could be seen dancing to the DJ on stage, with lights flashing all around him. "I didn't know Neil could throw such a big party. I thought it would just be a cocktail party with tuxedos." Dionne expressed her disbelief as she sat in the vacant chair beside Charlotte. Besides the rave happening, there was also a pool party not far off. An orchestra hired to play jazz in the garden added to the ambiance, and circus performers entertained the guests. Dionne could hardly count the attendees, the most influential and well-known figures. It reminded her of the movie "Babylon." The scale and grandeur of the festivities made her think that the only thing missing to complete her imagination was an elephant.

"That's how rich people throw a party. It's like there's no tomorrow," Charlotte said with a laugh, leaning back in her mahogany seat and sipping red wine.

Dionne surveyed the veranda. Near the balustrade, there was a statue of Venus de Milo, a small fountain in the center, and lamps at every corner.

"Is it the same at the villa when you're having a party?" Dionne asked while setting down her champagne glass on the small table.

Charlotte shook her head. "Grandpa prefers intimate parties, not like this. Just imagine the mess it will make afterward. My mom, too, is a bit of an introvert. She doesn't like strangers coming into our house. That's why guesthouses are built within the villa for guests."

"Why don't I see reporters taking pictures?" Dionne asked in surprise, noting that it was her first time attending a party of influential people without paparazzi.

Charlotte just drank her wine and smirked. "The guests were asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement before attending the party, just for precautions. So were the staff and everyone involved. You know how things can get out of hand. So, what happens at the party stays at the party."

Dionne furrowed her brows and ran her fingers through her hair. "That's funny. I don't remember signing any agreement."

"It's because I already signed for you and my brother. So, you're my responsibility."

Dionne just coughed. "Thanks? Even though you're so grumpy," she quipped.

Charlotte just glared at her and turned her gaze to the stars. "Speaking of my brother, why aren't you with him? Aren't you supposed to find some hookups? This party is way better than a dating app," she said without looking back, keeping her voice flat.

Dionne leaned back in her seat and joined Charlotte in stargazing. "Your brother is kissing some girl by the pool. I don't want to be the third wheel." She laughed. "I don't look for hookups on the dating app. I was looking for a girl for your brother to date. I guess I suck at being a gold digger. Now, I'm a terrible matchmaker, too."

Charlotte glanced at her. "So, why are you so giddy? You seem all fluttery about your chatmate?"

Dionne rolled her eyes. "My profile picture is a horse. I'm getting messages that I've already deleted. Who wouldn't laugh?" She took out her cell phone and showed the picture. "Here, see for yourself."

Charlotte took the cell phone and laughed at the sight. The horse was smiling, and its teeth looked like dentures.

"I'm not a fan of one-night stands. I don't just sleep with someone I've just met, even if I get too horny," Dionne said, laughing and running her fingers through her hair again.