9

Clarissa expertly poured red wine into Dionne's glass, then set down a plate bearing a steaming beef steak sprinkled with crushed parsley and accompanied by a few slices of carrots. The aroma of the meat, seasoned with pepper and butter that glazed the surface of the hot grilled steak, filled the air. "Thank you," Dionne said warmly, expressing her gratitude to Clarissa, who had just served her. She nodded in response and moved to Charlotte's position, who was seated opposite Dionne.

The dining room was bright and airy, with white curtains fluttering as the breeze entered through the large windows. The cutlery on the dining table shone brightly alongside bowls of soup, sauce containers, and glasses for juice, wine, and water. Fruits were neatly arranged on the dining table, and a few roses were placed in a flower vase.

"What a delectable lunch you have prepared, Clarissa," Charlotte remarked after being served. Clarissa's eyes crinkled at the edges as she smiled. "As you requested, I've also prepared your favorite dessert, the strawberry cake," she said. "You're spoiling me, Clarissa. I'll be gaining more weight when I get back to work." Charlotte's dimples deepened as she smiled and tasted the steak. "Wonderful as always," she complimented. Clarissa bowed slightly in response and quietly returned to the kitchen.

"I'm surprised you finally agreed to see him," Margaret said with delight. She poured herself some orange juice and took a sip. Carefully cutting the steak into small pieces, she elegantly ate without grease touching her red lipstick. "You see, Dionne, I've been encouraging my daughter to socialize and have a romantic date with Neil or any guy she likes," she explained, gently wiping her lips with a napkin before continuing. "Now, out of the blue, she decided to take a break from work and have a life. Isn't it wonderful?" she said with a smile.

"Yes, wonderful indeed, Margaret," Dionne agreed, picking up her red wine, holding it by the slender stem, and gently swirling the liquid. She looked across at Charlotte, who was seated opposite her. "Are you always this busy with work? Even when you're on vacation?" she inquired.

Charlotte set down her fork with a piece of steak skewered on it. "Uhm...yes. I have no time to socialize. So, I guess I'll try."

"Why all of a sudden? He must be really special," Dionne commented, taking a modest sip of her red wine after swirling it.

"Charlotte wants some distraction. Staying in this house is such a temptation. Isn't that what you told me, dear?" Margaret interjected without waiting for a response.

Charlotte nearly choked on her white wine and coughed. "I need a distraction from work, Mom. I'm always tempted to work," she said, her cheeks reddening as she wiped her mouth. "You always told me to take a break and get away from work. I'm just doing what you told me." She ran her hand through her hair and focused on cutting her steak.

"Careful with the wine, dear," Margaret gently chided, patting her daughter's hand.

Dionne couldn't help but laugh, but she held it back and instead bit her lip. She wiped her fork on the sauce and delicately placed it on top of the sliced steak. She sprinkled crushed parsley over the meat, pierced a slice of steak with her fork, and elegantly ate it with her mouth closed. The flavors of butter, meat, and parsley exploded in her mouth. Dionne closed her eyes and sighed softly at the delicious taste.

"What about you, Dionne? Are you enjoying your stay here? Unfortunately, Marcus isn't here to accompany you," Margaret sighed. "Ah, my children's priority is work. I think they inherited it from their grandfather. My dad liked to work a lot."

"I'm enjoying my stay here. Marcus is keeping me updated," Dionne replied casually.

"Ah, love is in the air," Margaret said with a warm gesture. "You and Marcus, and Charlotte is having a dinner date!" she exclaimed happily. "Oh, young love...it's wonderful to fall in love!"