22

"Good morning, Tracy," she greeted her assistant as she entered the office. Dionne's attention returned to the portfolio in her hands.

The soft click of Tracy's heels against the marble floor could be heard as she approached Dionne's desk, carefully placing the papers on the surface. "Good morning, Dionne," Tracy returned with a warm greeting. "Yes, I've been working on it diligently. We've secured the guest speakers for the opening ceremony, and I've finalized the schedule for the day."

"Excellent," Dionne answered with a smile. "Please take a seat." She gestured towards the vacant chair before her desk, and Tracy sat down.

"How are ticket sales looking so far? Do we need to ramp up our marketing efforts?" Dionne inquired.

Glancing at her iPad, Tracy's fingers swiftly danced across the screen. "Ticket sales are steady, but I agree, we should increase our marketing push to ensure we have a full house. I've drafted some social media posts and press releases this week."

Dionne nodded in agreement. "That sounds proactive. Let's also reach out to local media outlets for coverage." She picked up the papers from her desk and reviewed the details. "Have we confirmed all the logistical details, like catering and AV equipment?"

Taking the pen from her clipboard, Tracy heard the soft click as she pressed it. "Yes, everything is in place. I've confirmed the catering menu and AV setup with the vendors. We're all set on that front." With pen in hand, she pointed out the details on the papers to Dionne.

Dionne quickly scanned the information pointed out by her assistant and nodded. "Perfect. One last thing – have you prepared the welcome packets for our VIP guests and sponsors?"

"Yes, they're ready to go. I've included the event itinerary, maps of the museum, and some special tokens of appreciation for our sponsors."

"Wonderful," Dionne exclaimed with a smile, admiration gleaming in her eyes as Tracy had efficiently completed her tasks. "It sounds like we're well-prepared for a successful event. Thank you, Tracy."

"You're welcome, Dionne. Is there anything else you'd like to fix or change? There's still time. We're right on schedule," Tracy replied with a reserved smile, returning the pen to her clipboard.

Leaning back in her swivel chair, Dionne shrugged. "You're as efficient as ever. I don't think there's much left to do. The event is next week, and everything seems to be in order. You can go home early or take your time; it's your free time." She glanced at her watch. "Oh, it's still early."

She turned to her assistant and shrugged. "I know what you're thinking—wasting time at work is unprofessional, but we're all set. Besides, this is a museum, not a hospital. It's not like every minute counts," Dionne teased.

"Thanks, Dionne. I'll just stay here. I don't have anything to do at home anyway," Tracy replied with a smile, preparing to leave but furrowing her brow in sudden memory. She hesitated before speaking up. "Can I ask you something? It's not work-related."

Dionne swiveled her chair closer to the desk and sat up straight. "Sure, what is it?"

"Um, your friend? Has she ever been to the Blue Midnight Bar?" Tracy asked tentatively.

"Oh? Yes," Dionne replied with a drawn-out 'yes' and a playful smile.

That response only deepened Tracy's furrowed brow. "Why?" She couldn't help but ask.

"My friend visited that bar. Every time a guy tries to talk to her, he thinks she's gay. And every lesbian who tries to flirt with her thinks she's straight. So, I'm sorry if my friend was such a disappointment to their gaydar," Dionne said, trying to stifle her laughter.