39

Charlotte was deeply engrossed in reading the papers she held when there was a sudden knock at the door. Without looking up, she called out, "Come in!" her attention still riveted to the documents.

The door opened but quickly slammed shut with a loud bang. Startled, Charlotte exclaimed, "What the hell, Georgia!" Her eyes snapped in shock, her pulse racing from the sudden noise. "Do you have to slam the door and nearly send me to an early grave every time you enter?" she scolded, irritation coloring her tone as she regained her composure.

"I'm sorry!" Georgia responded, her laughter echoing in the room, clearly unfazed by the scare she had caused. "It's hard to softly close a door when your arms are full of these lattes I've brought for us," she explained, setting down two cups of coffee on the desk with a gentle clink. "Cappuccino, right?" Georgia asked, her smile wide, her tone playfully suggestive as if offering peace.

Charlotte rolled her eyes and reached for the steaming chai latte in the paper cup holder. She removed the plastic lid, releasing a cloud of aromatic steam, which slightly eased her irritation as she inhaled the scent of coffee. "You know, there's a fine line between making an entrance and causing an earthquake," Charlotte lectured, taking a cautious sip of her hot beverage.

Georgia sat in the empty chair across from Charlotte and began sipping her coffee. "Oh, I always aim to shake things up a bit," she teased with a smirk.

"Thanks, but I think the coffee is enough to keep my heart rate up," Charlotte retorted, setting her cup back on the table with a soft thud. She then picked up a folder filled with papers and resumed her reading.

Georgia leaned back comfortably in her chair, a playful grin spreading across her face. "But I did learn to knock whenever I'm entering your office," she pointed out with a hint of pride.

Charlotte continued to focus on the documents before her, not looking up. "You make it sound like you saved the world just by learning a basic courtesy, and I should be thankful," she commented dryly, eliciting a chuckle from Georgia.

Charlotte briefly shot Georgia a sharp look before redirecting her attention to her reading. "Should I roll out the red carpet next time? If ever you manage not to slam the door?" she inquired, her voice laced with sarcasm.

Georgia laughed softly, sipping her coffee before setting the cup down. "Only if it matches my shoes." She playfully lifted her foot, displaying her designer Chanel shoes that perfectly matched her polished corporate outfit. Charlotte merely rolled her eyes in response.

A soft knock echoed at the door. "Come in!" Charlotte called out, her voice steady as she neatly arranged the papers on her desk, set aside her sign pen, and shifted her focus to the computer. Nearby, Georgia was absorbed in browsing through her cell phone.

The door opened to reveal the secretary, her hair neatly pulled back into a ponytail, clad in a crisp white long-sleeved shirt paired with tailored black slacks. Her glasses lent her a distinguished air, befitting her professional composure at fifty.

A slight frown formed on her forehead as Charlotte glanced up from her computer screen to the secretary. "What is it, Sarah?" she inquired, her eyes drawn to the vibrant boxes the secretary was carrying.

"Delivery for you, Miss Charlotte. From Dionne Lucas," Sarah informed her, carefully setting down ten boxes of chocolates on the desk. It spurred Georgia to look up from her phone, her interest awakened by the sight of the chocolates while a blush tinged Charlotte's cheeks.

"Thanks, Sarah," Charlotte responded, her voice tinged with embarrassment. She subtly cleared her throat, her gaze darting uncertainly between the computer and the boxes of chocolates now commanding space on the desk. Deciding to regain her composure, she returned to the computer screen.