44

"I need you to draft a response to the email from Mr. Williams. He's concerned about his case's progress, " Charlotte seriously commanded into the phone as she strolled through the study room. Rays of morning sunlight penetrated the large glass windows, gently illuminating the bookcases and the coffee table, enhancing the luminosity of the morning. "Yes, let him know that we are still awaiting the discovery documents from the opposing counsel. Also, reassure him that we're fully engaged and outline the next steps we plan to take," Charlotte continued after hearing her assistant's response. The click of her heels echoed against the marble floor, resonating in the quiet room. Her high-waisted trousers paired seamlessly with her crisp white V-neck blouse. Charlotte ran her fingers through her loose hair while she talked. "Yes, that's a good idea. Include the tentative dates and assure him we'll confirm soon."

A soft knock at the door caused her to turn. "Could you also follow up with the court regarding the hearing schedule? I need to make sure there haven't been any changes," she said, pausing to listen briefly before nodding in response. "Thanks, Sarah. I appreciate your help," she concluded, then swiftly ended the call.

The soft knocking resumed. "Come in!" Charlotte called out assertively, standing centered in the study room. The door opened to reveal Marcus, her brother, with a warm smile. "Working this early?" he greeted playfully.

"Hey!" Charlotte exclaimed, slightly startled but smiling, stepping forward to embrace him. "I thought you'd be here this weekend? What brought you in early?" she asked while holding him.

"Work finished up early, and the drive over was quick," Marcus replied, returning her embrace warmly. "So, Dionne's here?" he added with a hint of curiosity.

Releasing the hug, Charlotte approached a small table where a porcelain teapot awaited. "Yes, she's here," she responded, her back to Marcus as she poured the tea. "Her car broke down while she was visiting St. Claire. Since there's no hotel nearby in San Mateo, I invited her to stay." Charlotte turned back to face Marcus, now holding a cup of steaming tea.

"Oh, that explains it," Marcus said, his voice carrying a note of neutrality, though his body language — a slight cough and a nonchalant shrug — betrayed his discomfort. "I just think it's weird that she's here," he stated coldly.

Charlotte sighed deeply and sipped her tea beside the small table, the morning light casting a warm glow around the room. "I can't just leave her in the middle of nowhere, can I? Besides, Mom adores her. She was happy that Dionne was here." She carefully placed her tea cup back on the saucer.

"And you're happy too?" Marcus probed, his tone gentle yet probing.

Charlotte swallowed hard, her lips pressing together in a thin line as she turned her back, contemplating. With a forced smile, she turned back to face Marcus. "Clarissa is happy, Georgia is here, and so is Tracy. Yes, I'm glad she's here," she deflected, avoiding direct eye contact with Marcus as she spoke. "The more the merrier, don't you think? It's not often we have so many guests at the Villa," Charlotte remarked, her voice carrying a hint of strain.

Marcus settled himself onto the plush sofa, his arm casually draped over the backrest. "I wouldn't be surprised; Dionne is too lovable, don't you think?"

"I have to agree." Charlotte managed a tight smile, turned back, and poured more tea, her movements deliberate and slow.

"I brought David."

The teapot almost slipped from Charlotte's grasp at the mention of David. She turned sharply, her expression a mix of surprise and confusion. "Why?" she asked, her eyebrows knitting together.

"What do you mean 'why'?" Marcus responded, clearly puzzled by her reaction. "Charlotte, he's your future husband. Why haven't you ever brought him here?"