38

"So you just woke up one day and decided, 'Oh, today I'm gonna marry David,'" Georgia said incredulously while inside Charlotte's office. She was sitting close to the desk, holding a contract, her eyebrows furrowed, and her lips pursed in disbelief.

Charlotte sighed deeply, her fingers flying across the keyboard as she looked at the laptop screen. "It's not what you think, Georgia. David only suggested the idea," she explained earnestly. "One of the conditions to access his trust fund, which his grandmother entrusted, is that he must be married." She glanced at Georgia briefly before returning her attention to the screen.

Georgia immediately placed the papers on the table. "Trust fund? Marriage for convenience? Why do I feel like I'm one of the cast in a badly written soap opera?" she said sarcastically, pointing to herself with exaggerated disbelief. "These are the kinds of plots I see in soap operas. Don't even get me started on fake marriages and wealth disputes."

"Maybe you should try to stop watching those trashy TV shows," Charlotte suggested, her eyes never leaving the laptop screen as she continued typing, the monitor's glow reflecting off her face.

"Hey! Leave my trashy soap operas alone! It's my guilty pleasure!" Georgia defended, her hand dramatically placed on her chest as if deeply offended. She leaned back in her chair, trying to suppress a grin.

Charlotte also leaned back in her chair, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms. "Have you seen the news where a guy married his rice cooker?" she asked Georgia, glancing over with a raised eyebrow. "Or a woman married her life-size doll?"

Georgia's eyebrows furrowed in disbelief. "Rice cooker? Life-size doll?" She leaned back in her chair and couldn't help but laugh, her laughter echoing throughout the office. "If you're trying to make a knock-knock joke, you better stop. You're terrible at it. You should stick to being bossy and strict, okay? If our employees learn about your silly jokes, they will never be scared." Georgia teased, wiping a tear from the corner of her eye and shaking her head.

"I'm not trying to make a joke! For heaven's sake!" Charlotte replied irritably, her voice rising slightly as she glared at Georgia.

"Okay, okay, calm down," Georgia said, trying to calm her cousin before she got even more annoyed. She suppressed her laughter and picked up the contract, pretending to read while flipping through the pages. "What's a rice cooker and life-size doll got to do with your soap opera marriage?" she asked, unable to resist teasing further, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Compared to my soap opera-inspired life, as you put it, my life is more normal than getting married to a rice cooker. And f.y.i., it's real and on the news, so yes, marrying a life-size doll exists in reality. So why does my marriage sound so absurd?" Charlotte gestured with her hand and sighed deeply. The exasperation was apparent in her eyes as she continued to type on her laptop. "Aren't you supposed to be my lawyer discussing my NDA contract with David and not questioning my personal choices?" she added in frustration.

"Oh, believe me, I can multitask. I can draft contracts while pondering the absurdity of your life decisions," Georgia retorted, leaning back in her chair with a playful smirk. "So, what's next? A reality TV show?"

Charlotte rolled her eyes dramatically. "Very funny. But no, David and I have an understanding. It's more like a business arrangement."

"Okay, fine, I got you." Georgia sighed deeply, running a hand through her hair as she read the contract. "I'm going to support your soap opera marriage no matter what. You're still my baby sister, after all," she said affectionately, her tone softening.

Charlotte's dimples deepened as she smiled. "Thanks, I appreciate it. You're always my big sister, even if you act like a toddler sometimes."

"My babysitter is probably right. I am a drama queen," Georgia admitted, glancing down at the contract with a rueful smile.