12

Given the relentless downpour, Charlotte and Dionne decided to stay temporarily in the cabin until the weather cleared. They had changed into dry, comfortable clothes—Charlotte in a soft, oversized t-shirt and leggings, Dionne in a warm pajama. Clarissa had braved the storm in a sturdy jeep, delivering a box of snacks and some homemade lasagna, filling the cabin with the aroma of comfort food.

"Yep. He's gay," Charlotte remarked casually, her eyes fixed on the TV screen as they watched a news segment about a famous male celebrity who had recently married in secret and filed for divorce three months later. Dionne, sipping red wine and snacking on salty potato chips, looked puzzled. "How did you know? He's married. Why would he end up being gay?"

Charlotte paused the TV, turning to face Dionne with a thoughtful expression. "He seems to struggle with using specific pronouns. He married in secret and only revealed it after the divorce. Notice the words he used: person, civilian, private citizen. Why is it so hard for him to say, ex-wife or wife?" She sipped her wine, the ruby liquid catching the light from the television. "Do you want to change the channel?" She offered the remote to Dionne.

"Can you change it, please? I feel suffocated watching this entertainment show. They're too shallow," Dionne sighed, leaning back on the sofa, the warmth of light casting a soft glow on her face. "So, you're saying that someone in the closet might avoid specific pronouns?" she asked.

"Yes. Their answers tend to be vague," Charlotte replied with a smile, navigating the television's menu with ease. Have you ever heard of gaydar?"

Dionne shook her head, her wine swirling gently in her glass. "I'm straight, so I guess I wouldn't know how that works."

"It's hard to explain; it's more about intuition," Charlotte explained, her gaze drifting to the window where rain streaked down the glass in rivulets.

"Do you have a gaydar?" Dionne asked.

Charlotte raised an eyebrow and chuckled softly, a twinkle in her eye. "I guess so?"

The conversation shifted as Dionne continued, "Do you use dating apps?"

"No, I don't use dating apps. I don't even have social media accounts. I value my privacy," Charlotte responded, her voice firm yet open.

Dionne frowned, pondering, and couldn't help but ask, "How do you date women? I mean, how will they know you're gay and ask you for a date?"

"It's the same as with straight people. It starts with flirting. You look for body language and gauge interest," Charlotte explained, adjusting her position and leaning back against the soft cushions. "If a girl is interested, she'll ask you for a date."

Dionne considered the fine line between friendship and something more among women, where compliments flow freely, but intentions remain obscured. "But isn't it common for girls to hang out? How will I know if it's a friendly date? Girls often admire each other, which is normal. Men don't usually compliment each other, but girls do. We comment on clothes, makeup, and other stuff," she articulated, her brow furrowed in thought.

Charlotte leaned on the back of the sofa, turning towards Dionne and resting her head comfortably against the cushion. "Or they can be direct and tell you they like you. Honestly, it's not that complicated. Why are you asking?"

Dionne also rested her head, their gazes locking in a moment. "Men are straightforward. I ask them out. But with girls, it can be confusing."

"In my experience, men tend to reserve compliments like 'you're beautiful' for someone they're genuinely interested in. With girls, it's easy for them to give compliments. So, how do I know if a girl is just being nice or if she's flirting?" Dionne twirled the ring on her finger while speaking, briefly glancing at Charlotte, her brow furrowed. "I'm not big on small talk, so it's hard to understand their intentions."