16

"Is it far?" Marcus asked, panting as he ran after Dionne.

"Come on, we're almost there!" Dionne yelled back, running towards a row of Jacaranda trees. Upon reaching them, she stopped and sat down, leaning against a tree. The fresh air blew by, carrying red leaves and blue flowers. Dionne checked her watch. It was only seven in the morning, and the sun was already bright. She closed her eyes while leaning back and let the wind caress her face.

"This is not our usual route when we run," Marcus remarked in surprise when he arrived. He sat next to her and leaned against the tree.

"Here." Dionne handed him a bottle of water. "It's not even far. You look tired," she teased. "It's nicer here. The view is too beautiful, shaded, and not too hot," she added. Dionne's red tank top and black yoga pants showed no signs of sweat, while Marcus's white t-shirt was soaked, and he was still panting. "You're right; I seem to be out of shape. I'm too busy focusing on my restaurant."

"How did it go? How's the business?" Dionne asked, taking a sip from her bottled water. "It's fine. The problem's been solved. Everything is going smoothly for now," Marcus replied. He observed the falling flowers and the butterflies flying around their seating area. "You're right; this place is cozy and beautiful."

"Told you." Dionne smiled and drank some water.

"By the way, Neil invited us to a party. The celebration is tonight. It's the opening night of the spa. There will be fireworks and lots of booze, so I guess I'll be more out of shape." He turned to Dionne. "Me and Charlotte, we're going." Marcus paused briefly and scratched his neck. "Would you like to come?" he asked shyly.

Dionne's brow furrowed slightly. "Tonight? I don't have a dress. I don't think I can go. Besides, I can't just buy a dress to wear right now; San Mateo has no boutiques. The shopping malls sell casual wear."

Marcus's smile widened at her response. "I got you covered. Charlotte agreed to lend you some of her dresses. That's if you want to go?"

Dionne looked at him. Marcus's hopeful expression was obvious. Dionne sighed, unable to think of a reason to refuse. "Sure, why not," she relented.

"That's great! I can't wait for the party! I heard Neil hired a famous DJ for his rave party," Marcus's excitement was palpable, causing Dionne to laugh. "Hold on there, cowboy! You need to recharge. You're too tired," she teased.

Marcus stood up. "I'll be heading home. I'll ask Mom to call her massage therapist. Want to join?"

Dionne shook her head, too lazy to move. The grass was too soft, and the air too refreshing. "You go ahead. Have you seen Charlotte? I need to talk to her about the dress."

"If you can't find her in the house, she's probably in the stable," Marcus said with a laugh and began to walk away. "See you later!" Marcus waved and started jogging towards the mansion.

"See you!" Dionne called out after him and watched as Marcus disappeared from view.

++++

Dionne decided to visit the stables before heading back to the mansion. The stables were dimly lit upon her entrance, with each horse having its stall, totaling ten. The corridor was clean and odorless. "Hello, good morning," Dionne politely greeted the stable workers she encountered. "Good morning, Miss Dionne," they responded, returning her greeting with smiles.