27

A Ferrari swiftly navigated the highway, smoothly swerving around a black car ahead, merging into the lane, and overtaking an eight-wheeler truck.

Dionne exhaled deeply, gripping the seatbelt. "When I said you can rule the world, I didn't mean for you to take over the highway, too." Dionne wiped sweaty palms with a tissue. "Hey, could you not audition for the next 'Fast and Furious' while I'm in the car? You're driving like an idiot!" Dionne said nervously.

Charlotte turned and smiled. "You never complain when we're in San Mateo. I thought you enjoyed a little thrill. Besides, 'idiot' is such a strong word. I prefer 'enthusiastically optimistic about green lights.'"

Dionne rolled her eyes. "San Mateo is full of rice fields; it's safer there. If we crash, we'll be swimming in mud. Unlike here, where they'd have to pick up our pieces!" Dionne grimaced at the thought of their bodies being scattered. "Enthusiastically optimistic? That's one way to put it. I was thinking more 'recklessly disregarding the laws of physics,'" Dionne said sarcastically.

The Ferrari sped up again, passing a bus ahead and swiftly merging back into the lane."Oh my god!" Dionne felt her soul leave her body, half expecting a montage of life clips to flash before her eyes.

Charlotte looked at Dionne while driving. "Laws of physics? Come on. We both know we'd be flying if I defied the physics. This is merely... bending them slightly," Charlotte reasoned, glancing at Dionne.

"Eyes on the road! For God's sake! We're not in a movie where the driver can talk for hours without looking!" Dionne exclaimed anxiously, then gently turned Charlotte's face back towards the road. "Bending them? It's more like breaking them in half. My heart skipped a beat back there. And not in a good way!" Dionne declared, clearly distressed.

Charlotte just laughed, seemingly the only one amused, as Dionne appeared to be on the verge of a heart attack. "Ah, come on, Dee. Admit it. Deep down, you love the adrenaline rush. Besides, I've got everything under control."

"Everything under control? Honestly, you're practically making me pray in silence here. Can we please slow down a bit? I'm not exactly keen on seeing my entire life replay in fast-forward with every daring maneuver you make," Dionne implored with a hint of panic, her face draining of color as she clung tighter to the seatbelt.

Charlotte let out a resigned sigh, perhaps recognizing the genuine concern in Dionne's voice. "Alright, alright, we'll take it down a notch," she conceded, easing her foot onto the brake and decelerating the car to a more moderate pace.

Still, Charlotte's version of "slowing down" seemed to defy conventional standards as they swiftly moved past a jeepney that was leisurely making its way ahead. Dionne decided not to voice any more complaints, especially after noticing Charlotte deliberately adjusting the speed to an even slower, more controlled pace. "Thank you, Charlie. But, you know, next time, maybe we could opt for a route that's a bit less... heart-stopping? I'm sure my nerves would be eternally grateful," Dionne suggested, trying to mask the residual anxiety with a light-hearted tone.

Charlotte couldn't help but chuckle. "You're so funny," she remarked.

Dionne rolled her eyes in response. "Oh yes, hilarious. Me having a near heart attack is just comedy gold," she retorted, her hand flailing in self-reference. Dionne's heartbeat gradually returned to normal as the car continued slower, the adrenaline rush subsiding. "So, do you have a personal driver? Because, honestly, you'd be the cheapest billionaire I know if you're driving yourself around without one," Dionne asked.

Charlotte responded with a playful glare and an exaggerated eye roll. "Yes, I do have a driver, but today's his day off, believe it or not," she revealed a naughty grin.