46

Dionne took a deep breath as she looked out of the car window, the quiet hum of the engine contrasting with the bustling city lights streaking past. Her driver navigated the streets with practiced ease, the occasional honk and distant chatter from pedestrians muffled by the car's insulation.

With a press of a button, Dionne slowly raised the divider that separated her from the driver, creating a barrier of privacy within the luxury vehicle. She leaned back into her seat and opened the window slightly, allowing the cool night air to sweep through the car, gently tousling her hair. Retrieving a cigarette from her clutch, she brought it to her lips, lighting it with a flick of her silver lighter.

As the soft glow passed, her cell phone buzzed on the seat beside her. She picked it up, the screen illuminating her face as she answered the call. "Hello, Tracy," Dionne greeted, exhaling a stream of smoke as she spoke. "No, I haven't arrived yet. Tell me about it, it's already strange for me to be attending this event. It feels like it's too late to back out now," she sighed softly, taking another drag from her cigarette.

Listening intently to Tracy's voice on the other end, Dionne's gaze drifted out the window, her thoughts momentarily lost in the passing scenes. "Yes, I'll just make a brief appearance. I don't think I'll stay long at the party. Going to your ex's engagement celebration is already uncomfortable enough. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment," she added wryly, tapping the cigarette lightly into the ashtray.

After another exhale of smoke, Dionne pressed the cigarette firmly into the ashtray, extinguishing it. "Anyway, I'll catch up with you later. Bye," she concluded the call, her tone reflective yet resolute. With a resigned sigh, she returned to the hotel.

The car slowed to a stop in front of the grand entrance, the imposing design of the historic building looming before her. Taking one last glance at her reflection in the window, Dionne gathered herself, preparing to step into the glittering world of the engagement party waiting inside.

The driver, dressed in a crisp white polo shirt and tailored black trousers, courteously opened the passenger door for Dionne. Stepping out of the car, she was immediately received by the mesmerizing spectacle of pulsating lights and vibrant music emanating from the hotel's entrance. A lively rave party was underway, accompanied by the energetic beats of a DJ. Dionne couldn't help but notice the guests, impeccably dressed in suits, tuxedos, and elaborate gowns, which made her appreciate the elegance of her attire—a stunning mint green dress that flowed gracefully past her knees, revealing an alluring backless design trimmed with a shimmering diamond necklace and dangling earrings. "I guess my dress fits right in with this crowd," Dionne whispered to herself, admiring the fashionable scene unfolding around her.

With a thoughtful frown, Dionne made her way through the hotel's bustling lobby. She spotted a jazz ensemble performing in one corner, their smooth melodies adding a touch of sophistication to the atmosphere while other guests swayed to the music on the dance floor. Navigating through the crowd with ease, Dionne finally reached the bar, where she encountered a skilled bartender between the lively chatter and laughter of the party-goers.

"What can I get you?" the bartender inquired politely, his white long-sleeved shirt impeccably styled with a black ribbon accentuating his formal attire.

"I'll have a gin and tonic, please. Make it heavy on the gin," Dionne requested, settling onto a plush stool at the bar.

The bartender nodded with a professional smile, swiftly preparing the drink with practiced hands. "Coming right up," he assured her, placing the perfectly mixed cocktail in front of Dionne, complete with a slice of lime adorning the rim of the glass.

"I never knew you'd be here," Samantha said with a smile as she sat beside Dionne. Her elegant white halter dress looked stunning, complemented by a sapphire necklace and diamond earrings. Her hair flowed gracefully down to her shoulders, catching the ambient light that shimmered through the hotel's grand ballroom.