35

"Dionne, I just wanted to give you a heads-up. Anthony Verdan will be using the studio in the museum for his latest project," Tracy announced while standing in front of the bulletin board, pinning Polaroid pictures with thumbtacks.

Dionne glanced up briefly from her computer and then returned to the screen. "Thanks for letting me know, Tracy. I heard he's deviating from his usual style. What's up with that?" she asked curiously, typing away on the keyboard.

"It's a bit surprising. Usually, he's all about those soulful portraits of elderly folks. But now, he's painting a couple or newlyweds, apparently commissioned by some wealthy clients," Tracy replied, tidying up the scattered folders on the desk.

Dionne raised an eyebrow. "Hmm, interesting. Any idea why the sudden change?"

"I gather that Anthony can be pretty selective with his clients. Maybe he's just branching out for a change of pace or because the opportunity was too good to pass up," Tracy offered her opinion.

"Fair enough. It's always fascinating to see artists evolve and experiment," Dionne remarked casually. "Anthony Verdan will be using the studio in the museum for his project. Could you assist him with anything he needs during his time here?" she added.

Tracy nodded. "I'll make sure everything is set up for him and assist with his requests."

"Great, thank you. Anthony is one of our valued artists, so let's make sure he feels well taken care of while he's working here," Dionne said as she clicked the mouse and continued typing on the keyboard.

"Consider it done. I'll keep an eye on things and ensure he has everything he needs." Tracy retrieved a card from her folder and walked to Dionne's desk. "I thought you might want to try this," she said, gently placing the card on the desk and sliding it toward Dionne.

"What's this?" Dionne glanced at the card and read the text. She picked it up delicately, holding it between her fingers like chopsticks. "You're giving me a ticket for speed dating?" she asked, laughing as she set the card back down.

"I just thought you might want to try and meet new people. Dionne, as your friend, I want you to get out there," Tracy said with a sigh, sitting in the nearby chair. "I know it's hard to forget Charlotte, and I get worried when you go alone to bars to socialize. I know you're trying to move on, but some people might not take your politeness kindly and think they have a chance to take advantage," she said with concern. Over time, she had grown close to Dionne and cared for her as a friend. "How are you holding up? It's been two years since your breakup," Tracy asked softly.

Dionne sighed and shrugged. "Well, let's see. I've mastered the art of ugly crying without smudging my mascara, so I'd say I'm thriving," she joked, hiding her sadness behind a smile.

Tracy chuckled softly. "Hey, that's a valuable skill. But seriously, have you been able to start moving on?"

Dionne leaned back in her chair. "Oh, you know, just drowning my sorrows in a tub of cookie dough ice cream and rewatching every romantic comedy ever made."

"The classic breakup survival kit. But seriously, how are you feeling?" Tracy asked gently.

Dionne ran her hand through her hair, her brow furrowing slightly. "Honestly, it's tough." She avoided Tracy's gaze and stared out the window at the clouds. "I wish breaking up were like flipping a switch, and suddenly I'd be over her, but it's not that simple. If there were a textbook for sale about not 'ruining your first serious relationship,' I'd probably buy a copy," she said wistfully.

"You can't just switch off your feelings after a breakup. It's okay to take time to heal. I don't think there's a book for that. If there were, we wouldn't be having this conversation," Tracy said, amused.