15

"She looks pretty," Dionne remarked as she showed Marcus a picture of a woman. "Do you like her?" she prodded, flipping through her new cellphone to reveal another image from a dating app, her fingers gliding effortlessly across the screen.

Marcus was stretched out on a sunbed. His body relaxed in just a pair of swimming trunks, the sun casting a golden hue on his skin. He turned lazily towards Dionne, who was reclining on an adjacent sunbed. The vibrant red of her bikini complimented her sun-kissed complexion. "She's fine," he replied, his voice devoid of interest. Why are you browsing through a dating app?" he asked, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion and curiosity.

The black sunglasses perched on Dionne's nose, and the glare of the cellphone screen reflected off the lenses. "Don't you ever want to date again? To meet someone you like? I've been flooded with messages; I might pick one," she stated casually, her tone light yet carrying an underlying note of consideration.

Marcus turned his head to face her fully, his expression clouding over with concern. "You're actively looking for a date? But why?" he pressed, unable to mask the surprise in his voice.

"Why not? It's not as if I'm tied down in a relationship or anything," Dionne countered. She set the cell phone beside her and stretched lazily, her body unfolding like a cat in the sun's warmth. She tilted her head back, allowing the gentle breeze to play with strands of her hair as she gazed up into the clear, blue sky.

A shadow of disappointment flickered across Marcus's features. "So, you're planning to meet someone?" he asked, a slight edge creeping into his voice.

Dionne spared him a glance before her eyes returned to the blue sky above them. "Yes, I could even sleep with someone I like if I wanted to," she declared boldly, her voice carrying a hint of defiance.

"Oh?" was all Marcus could muster, stunned by the frankness of her admission. He found himself rubbing his forehead, trying to process her words.

"Tell me... do you see me just as a friend?" Dionne's question floated in the air, untouched by her gaze, which remained fixed on the sky.

"Yes, of course," Marcus answered, his voice steady, but his eyes lingered on her, filled with an emotion he couldn't hide.

Dionne let out a deep, thoughtful sigh. "Then don't fall in love with me. I don't want you acting like my boyfriend," she turned to lock eyes with him. "You're a great guy, Marcus. Any girl would be lucky to have you. But I don't think I'm that girl," she said earnestly, her voice heavy with sincerity. "I can only offer you friendship. That's all I have to give."

Marcus, seeking to break the suddenly serious atmosphere, attempted to inject some fun into the conversation despite the sadness that briefly flickered in his eyes. "Why are you being so serious all of a sudden?" he said, trying to smile. "Is it that time of the month?"

Even though her eyes were hidden behind the sunglasses, Dionne blinked. "Someone told me I hurt people even if I don't intend to. Don't be one of those people I---" she paused mid-sentence. "Don't expect too much from me. I just can't love. That's it," she whispered.

Silence enveloped them for a moment, with only the sun's rays and the breeze continuing to weave around them.

A deep sigh came from Marcus. "Love sucks," he said.

"Yes, it does," Dionne agreed.

Marcus sat up on the sunbed. "I think I need to go. I have things to do. Are you going to stay here?" he asked, draping a white towel over his shoulder.

"Yes, I'm going for a swim," Dionne replied, glancing briefly at Marcus before returning her gaze to the sky.

"Okay. See you later," Marcus said and then left.