Chapter 41

~ Somewhere in the United States ~
Casey's POV:
"Alright 2 large lattes, a plain bagel with cream cheese and a blueberry muffin. Your total is $12.83" I say as the young man dressed for the office hands me his Amex card. Cue eye roll. I swipe with a smile and then hand it back with his receipt. Nevaeh hands the man his order before he rushes out the door without sparing us a glance. Steph is rushing back and forth between the three tables we have at the moment. Lorie comes out of the kitchen with more baked goods as the morning rush dies down. I came back to the states late last night and my cousin Josie picked me up. She's Octavia and Memphis's cousin on their dad's side.She brought me back to her house with her roommates and they brought me to their work. It feels nice to start fresh somewhere new even though I miss my men but the pain still stung so I know I need this time away from that crazy situation.
Lorie comes out and sits on the stool next to me to help me roll more silverware for the lunch rush. Lorie gets where I'm at since she has 6 yr old twins. Long story short she was a teen mom. Baby daddy bailed when she refused to abort her babies. Such a dick. But she did it with the help of her close friends. She didn't even go after him for child support. She figured it wouldn't be worth the trouble until Josie and Imani went to his parents to educate them on what their son had done. They must of said something right cause they came back with a check for $100,000 and a letter from the parents. They were furious with him and proceeded to cut him off and ask Lorie to have contact with their only grandkids. Apparently his parents are loaded but not a bunch of snobs.
"So how are you feeling?" she asks me quietly.
"I'm still processing things to be honest. I mean I love them but if they can't support me during this pregnancy then I will do this by myself" I tell her as we finish rolling silverware.
"I understand how you feel. But you aren't doing it by yourself. You have me and the girls" she says while moving the bin of rolled silverware under the counter.
"Are you getting the kids today?" I ask as a couple people walk in and sit down at one of the tables.
"No Imani is off today so she's going to pick them up and drop them off at the Richard's for the weekend since I have to work Oasis tonight" she says as she takes over the register so I can go pee real quick. These babies really like to tap dance on my very full bladder. On the way back the timer for the ovens go off so I grab some mitts and grab the trays of cookies she was working on.
"Lorie your cookies are finished" I shout out before grabbing the other trays.
"Coming" she yells out before asking Nevaeh to watch the register.
"Thanks for grabbing those. I kind of forgot about them for a bit" she says before laughing a little to herself. Steph passes me a club sandwich with a mango smoothie.
"Thanks girl I didn't realize I was hungry" I tell her as I quickly take a bite. The sandwich disappears faster than I thought it would and I take my smoothie back to the register since our rush is getting ready to start soon. Pretty soon the popular cafe was overflowing with patrons and everyone was busy. Autumn, Willow and Thomas came in at 3 to get ready for the evening shift. Lorie stopped baking after lunch and set up the grill for Autumn. By 4 Lorie and I left for the day. We stopped by a favorite Chinese place on the way home, making sure to get stuff for everyone in the house even if they're at work. By the time we got home I was ready for my jammies and this good food. Not gunna lie I ate 2 orders of cream cheese wontons on the drive home. Oh well I have two extra mouths to feed so I'm excused from judgment. Lorie makes sure to leave our other roommates food on the counter before heading to the couch to watch reruns of Jersey Shore. Pauly D cracks me up. Halfway through episode 3, Imani walks in the house. She lets Lorie know the kids were good and baking cookies when she left putting Lorie at ease. Evan, her ex, moved out of state after the fallout with his parents and is apparently managing some grocery store and seeing an older woman. Like 8 yrs older but hey older is older. There's talk of her being the daughter of the owner of the store he manages and that she's loaded. Crazy I know. Before I let my thoughts wander back to my men a big yawn escapes me reminding me I need to head to bed. I grab a couple fortune cookies, tell them good night before heading down the hall to my room. I go pee for the thousandth time today before quickly climbing under the covers and passing out from exhaustion.