SAMANTHA LILY ADAMS

'One ride home is what it took to give my homeless self a home.

Destruction, it is.

I look at my dad as he wears a look on his face that I understand well by now. He leans in his seat and looks at me.

"Lily Samantha, I know how this looks sweetheart but I need you to understand this." I nod my head not quite knowing where this is going. But I have my expectations for the worst and I believe if it comes to it, it won't shatter or break me that hard than believing for the best and getting the worst.

"You are almost an adult and it pains me so much to say this but it's time for me and your mom to lay low and let you and your sister make a life of your own."

I look away in confusion. "Dad, I am not getting you."
He pulls himself up and rests his elbows on his knees.
"Lily Samantha, we have only one more year living together before you go to live life on your own. I want to see you handle this year on your own. Grow up and start deciding what is best for you on your own. Make me and your mother proud but just remember that every decision you will be making will reflect me and your mother." I blink and blink and blink, almost ten times but still I am not getting it.

I feel like I need someone to pinch me or better yet punch me to seriously wake me up.

"Are you okay?" My dad asks and I remember I am still in front of him and I can't risk him taking back what he just said because of my weirdness.

I nod my head. "I am okay Dad, it's just that I am glad to hear you say that. It's all I've been waiting for and now that it's here, it kind of makes me feel too overwhelmed." He brings his left arm and rests it on my right shoulder. He squeezes my shoulder encouragingly nodding his head with a bright smile on his face.

"Don't feel overwhelmed Lily Samantha. You have turned out to be a wise intelligent young lady. Me and your mother, we could not ask for any more."

I purse my lips feeling tears at the back of my eyes.
I push myself forward and open my arms to hug my father. This is not what I expected at all.

I pull away and he smiles at me. "Now go tell your mother to not read a lot in case her eyes start hurting," I chuckle while shaking my head at that.

The marriage that my parents have, always makes me wonder if there is anything like it in the outside world. Or if I will ever be lucky enough to have something like it when it will be my time.

I have never had a boyfriend to even get a simple glimpse of being cared for by someone who is not from my family, so if I am being honest sometimes I feel eager to have someone give me a taste of what is like to be doted upon by a lover.

"We are going to watch a movie. Wanna join us, Dad?" He shakes his head.

"I have duty calls here, but maybe I may join you later when it's done." I stand up and lean over to kiss him on the cheek.
I walk back into the house. Back to the living room with a big, bright grin on my face. I can feel my heart will bust out of happiness, out of love, out of excitement. For sure my dad just made my evening.

I get in the living room and my mom is already watching the film.

"Mom?"

"Shhhhh!" She shuts me up without looking at me, too caught up in the film.

"You sure are bad Mom! You started this without notifying me."

"You and your dad seemed to be into the conversation deeply. I could not disturb you, now silence please!" I take a seat closer to her on the couch to share a blanket with her.