𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 1: 𝕴𝖓𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖉𝖚𝖈𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖗

"Oh no, I am going to be late!" exclaimed Tanisi as she hurried through the manor halls, her sunny yellow gown swishing around her ankles. Her beautiful afro had been neatly bundled into a bun, and her deep brown skin shone with a healthy glow.

"My lady!" called a voice behind her.

Tanisi turned in frustration. "Yes, what is it?"

"Your shoes!" said the servant, rushing up to Tanisi and handing her the missing shoes.

"You cannot meet the guests without shoes!"

"Oh, how foolish of me!" Tanisi grabbed the shoes and hurriedly tied them on, thanking the servant as she did so.

She took a deep breath, smoothed her dress, and straightened her posture, trying to regain her composure. With a determined glance around the hall, she set off once more, this time with a bit more purpose in her step. Arriving at the double doors, Tanisi paused to catch her breath before knocking.

"Enter," came the reply.

Tanisi stepped inside to find her five sisters gathered around the couch. Her eldest sister Nia, who was sitting in the middle, her nose buried in a book as sunlight streaming through the windows made her smooth brown skin glow. Her afro was neatly braided and pinned up, framing her sharp features and her golden-brown eyes.

The second oldest, Kazi, slumped on the couch in a green dress, arm draped casually over the armrest. Her short braids, the same brown as her skin and eyes, mirrored Nia's sharp features, but there was a wildness about them that made her seem untamed. She glanced up at Tanisi as she entered, a smirk playing on her lips.

Her third sister Adanna leaned against the couch in a pink gown that accentuated her curvaceous figure, eyelids drooping as if she might doze off at any moment. Despite her soft, full features, Adanna was the most logical of the sisters, always the first to come up with a plan. Her long braids, the colour of rich mahogany, framed her round face like a halo, contrasting with her deep brown eyes.

Ife was the fourth sister and sat in an armchair across from Nia, her brown eyes fixed intently on Nia and the book in her hands. Her afro was pulled back into a sleek ponytail, revealing her soft, brown features. She was dressed in a navy-blue gown that hugged her curves, bringing out the warmth of her dark skin. The sunlight streaming through the windows danced across her face, casting a warm glow over the room. Ife's presence seemed to command attention, yet she remained unassuming and composed. Her sisters, despite their various distractions, could not help but glance over at her every now and then, curious about what could be so interesting about the book Nia was reading.

And then there was Asha, the second youngest, who slept on the armchair. Her chocolate brown skin glowed softly in the sunlight, and her eyes, just as brown as her sisters', were closed in slumber. Her hair, usually worn in a large afro, was pulled back into a neat bun, revealing delicate features framed by dark, perfectly arched eyebrows. Her silver dress, the same colour as the moon that would soon grace the night sky, hung loosely from her slender frame, its flowing folds pooling around her feet. She looked so peaceful that none of the sisters dared to wake her, instead choosing to gaze at her with a mix of admiration and envy.

"You are late, Tanisi," Nia remarked without looking up from her book.

"My apologies," said Tanisi, moving to sit among her sisters.

The air grew thick with impatience as Kazi's voice broke the silence. "Must you read such a dull book, sister?" she asked, her tone laced with sarcasm.

Nia raised an eyebrow but did not bother to respond. "Dull?" Ife countered; her voice raised just enough to catch everyone's attention.

"It is a reflection of humanity! How can that be dull?" Her words seemed to hang in the air as she looked at each of her sisters in turn, daring them to challenge her.

"This waiting game is excruciating! When will Father grace us with his presence?" Adanna yawned, stretching her arms above her head. "I could be doing something more... productive with my time." Her voice trailed off, as if lost in thought about what exactly she could be doing that would be more meaningful than sitting around waiting for their father.

Nia, ever the composed and mature one, lifted her head from the book. "Patience, Adanna. He will arrive when he deems it necessary."

"Perhaps he brings a suitor! Wouldn't that be exciting?" Tanisi chimed in, trying to lighten the mood. Adanna scoffed.

"Tradition dictates Nia marries first, so, why must we endure this anticipation anyway?" Her eyes narrowed as she glanced at the book in Nia's hands. Nia's gaze, sharp as a hawk's, met Adanna's.

"Adanna, would you please quiet down?" she said, her voice calm but firm. "And someone please wake Asha up!"

Ife, the peacemaker, rose and gently nudged Asha's shoulder. "Asha, wake up. Father could arrive any moment."

Asha's eyes fluttered open, and she stretched lazily before sitting up. "What time is it?" she yawned, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"It is almost time, sister," Nia answered, her voice soft. "Ugh, this waiting is torture," Asha complained, stretching her arms above her head. "It is bad enough that we have to wear these ridiculous dresses, but to have to sit here like a bunch of statues..." Her voice trailed off, a hint of rebellion in her tone.

Just then, a knock was heard at the door. The sisters exchanged nervous glances, their hearts racing with anticipation. "Stay calm, sisters," Nia whispered, trying to reassure them.

She rose gracefully and walked over to the door, her dress swishing softly against the floor. As she opened it, sunlight flooded the room, momentarily blinding them.

When their eyes adjusted, they saw their father standing before them, his dark skin glowing against his white robes. Beside him stood a man, younger than their father but with an air of authority that commanded respect...