𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 5: 𝕾𝖍𝖆𝖉𝖔𝖜𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝕯𝖊𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖞

Tension hung in the air of the Nari estate as the day of King Kiyoshi's arrival drew nearer. The servants moved about with renewed purpose, polishing silverware, and arranging flowers to welcome their distinguished guest. Even the horses in the stable seemed to sense the tension, stamping their hooves, and whinnying nervously.

Inside the main house, Nia sat in the drawing room, her needle moving methodically through the embroidery cloth. Her sisters watched her with anxious expressions, their thoughts clearly elsewhere.

"Please, stop staring," she finally said. "You are making me uneasy," said Nia, as she threaded her needle once again.

"Forgive us," Ife replied gently. "We're just concerned for you."

Nia forced a smile. "I will be all right. If chosen, I will do my duty as the daughter of Duke Nari and marry King Kiyoshi. If not, then I will continue to live my life as I always have." She paused, taking a deep breath. "Now, let us not dwell on such matters any further."

Kazi scoffed bitterly. "Always duty with you! What of your own happiness?"

"Kazi, please..." Nia began, her tone weary. "I have thought of my own happiness. I have made my peace with the situation. There is no need to belabor the point." She took another deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. "Now, if you would excuse me, I would like to retire to my chambers" Nia said as she stood up, her expression resolute.

As she made her way out of the room, Kazi grabbed her by the arm. "Why must you bear this alone? Your choice impacts us all!" she exclaimed, her voice choked with anger and fear. "We should be standing together, supporting each other through this!"

"That is enough," Ife cautioned, but Kazi persisted.

"Is your heart truly so cold? Can you be content sacrificing your freedom?" Kazi demanded.

Nia felt something snap inside her as Kazi's words struck a chord deep within her. She pulled her arm free from her sister's grasp, her face flushed with anger and hurt. "How dare you!" she shouted, tears streaming down her face. "Do you think I am not afraid?" Her voice broke with emotion. "Do you think I am not terrified of losing my freedom, of being trapped in a marriage I do not want? Of course!"

"It is not you who has been rejected time and time again! Not you who must set an example!" Nia shouted, her words laced with anger and pain. "I have tried to be strong for all of you, so do not stand here and judge me!" She trembled, pointing a shaking finger at Kazi.

With that she fled the room, leaving her stunned sisters behind. Nia rushed blindly down the stairs and out of the estate, the sound of her sobs catching in her throat. At last, her steps led her to the nearby lake. She sank to the ground, her hands pressed against her hot, stinging eyes. She had never meant to lash out like that, had never meant to hurt her sisters. But the weight of her impending fate had become too much to bear, and the words had spilled from her before she could stop them.

For the first time, the carefully constructed dam inside Nia crumbled. She let the tears flow freely, her body shaking with sobs as she clutched at the grass, trying to find some closure against the overwhelming emotions coursing through her. She did not know how much longer she could bear this weight, this constant uncertainty.

Nia's tears slowed as she heard a faint rustling sound from nearby. She stood, peering around until she spotted a small cave entrance, its entrance barely visible amidst the thick foliage. Her curiosity piqued, she made her way towards it, careful not to trip on the uneven ground. As she drew closer, she realized that the sound she had heard was coming from within the cave.

The air inside the cave was cool and damp, and the light from the entrance barely penetrated the darkness. She squinted, trying to see her surroundings, and almost tripped over something soft and furry. Bending down, she realized it was a bat, injured and struggling to move.

"Oh, you poor thing," she murmured. Carefully she tore a strip of fabric from her dress and hurried to the lake to dampen it. Kneeling by the bat again, she pressed the cloth gently against the animal's wound. It sighed softly, its small body relaxing into her touch. As she worked to clean the bat, she found herself lost in the rhythm of her movements, her mind finally finding some peace amidst the chaos of her thoughts.

"There now, though I do not know how long it will last."

Examining the bat, she noticed its fur had an unusual reddish tinge. "Aren't you a unique little fellow?" she said with a sad smile.

Nia went to fetch some water, but when she returned, the bat had vanished.

She continued on her way back to the palace, her mind still on the injured creature she had found. The image of its red fur lingered in her thoughts, and she could not help but wonder if it was a sign of some sort. A symbol of hope, perhaps, in the midst of her despair?

Dabbing her tear-stained cheeks, Nia slowly made her way back home. The brief distraction had settled her heart, though it still ached with uncertainty. But she walked with her head held high. Whatever fate decreed, she would face it with the same strength and resilience she had always shown. The memory of the injured bat lingered in her thoughts, and she could not help but feel a newfound sense of connection to the creature.