𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 16: 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕶𝖎𝖓𝖌'𝖘 𝕯𝖎𝖘𝖕𝖑𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊

The next day, the moon was high in the sky as Nia awoke, her heart still heavy from the events of the previous night. The servants knocked gently on the door to the royal bedchambers. "Enter," called King Kiyoshi, his voice rough with sleep.

The maids and servants, dressed in their finest attire, bowed low as they entered the chambers, their eyes cast downcast in respect. "Good morning, Your Majesty, Your Highness," they murmured in unison. Nia sat up in bed, her afro still in disarray from sleep, and smiled politely at the gathered servants. The king, however, remained lying on his back, one arm flung over his eyes to block out the light.

Glancing between the king and queen, they went about their tasks, but they could feel the tension in the air. Nia kept her eyes downcast as her maids helped her dress, their usual morning chatter muted to hushed whispers. Once she was ready, the head maid gestured for Nia to follow her. "Come, Your Majesty, it is time for breakfast."

Nia took a deep breath and held her head high as she was led to the dining hall. She could feel the servants' curious eyes on her, wondering what had happened between her and the king. As she entered the hall, she saw Kiyoshi already seated at the head of the table, his posture stiff and formal. The morning moon streamed through the tall windows, casting a warm glow over the polished wood and gleaming silverware.

Her heart still heavy from the events of the previous night, Nia took her seat at the opposite end of the table from the king. The servants poured them each a cup of steaming hot tea, their hands shaking slightly as they set the delicate china cups in front of them. There was an unspoken understanding between them that this was going to be a tense breakfast.

Princess Serena walked into the dining hall, her steps light and graceful despite the weight of the crown upon her head. She took her seat beside Nia, her expression kind. "Good morning, Your Majesty," she said, her voice soft and soothing. "I trust you slept well?"

"Quite well, thank you," Nia replied, allowing no hint of her true feelings to show in her voice. The servants began bringing out dishes of food, setting them on the table with practiced efficiency. A variety of fruits, breads, cheeses, and cold meats were laid out before them, along with a small serving of hot porridge. The aroma of the food filled the air, but neither Nia nor Kiyoshi seemed to have much of an appetite.

Nia followed Princess Serena's lead, observing proper dining etiquette with care and poise. The servants looked on in surprise as Nia managed to eat a small portion of the food, her movements precise and delicate despite the tension in the air. Across the table, Kiyoshi barely touched his plate, his gaze fixed on the far wall. The silence in the room was almost palpable, broken only by the soft clinking of silverware against fine china.

Nia made polite conversation with Princess Serena as they ate, their voices low and respectful. The king's silence seemed to weigh heavily on the room, and she could feel the tension in her shoulders begin to ease slightly as they spoke about innocuous topics such as the weather and the upcoming spring festivals. She wondered if Kiyoshi was aware of how much his mood affected those around him.

After breakfast, Princess Serena suggested giving Nia a tour of the palace ballroom. "We must begin preparing you for formal court events and celebrations," she explained.

Nia nodded, rising from her seat to follow Serena down the hall, the king's stony silence weighing heavily on her mind. As they entered the grand ballroom with its polished marble floors and towering stained-glass windows, Nia gasped in awe. The room was a testament to the kingdom's wealth and power, with gold railings carved from wood and velvet drapes hanging from the walls. A stunning chandelier dangled from above, its countless crystals sparkling in the moonlight, filling the room with colorful patterns.

"It is beautiful," she breathed, her eyes taking in the intricate details of the room.

Serena smiled. "I am pleased you like it. As queen, you will host many events here." She gestured to a small group of vampires standing ready near the musicians' gallery. "Allow me to introduce your dance instructor, Lord Darius. He is considered the best dancer in the kingdom."

Nia turned to face Lord Darius, taking in his regal bearing and handsome features. He had long brown hair and brown eyes and pale skin. He bowed low before her, his lips curling into a small smile. "Your Majesty, it is an honor to meet you. I am at your service." His voice was deep and melodious, like the sound of a fine violin.

"The honor is mine, my lord. I am eager to learn from you." Nia glanced over at Princess Serena, who nodded encouragingly. As the musicians began playing a simple waltz, Lord Darius offered her his hand, his fingers long and cool against her own. He led her onto the dance floor, his movements fluid and graceful.

Under Lord Darius's expert guidance, Nia slowly learned the steps and patterns as they moved gracefully around the dance floor. She often stumbled at first, murmuring apologies, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. But Lord Darius's patience never wavered, and he smiled reassuringly as he corrected her posture or the position of her hand. As she grew more confident, she found herself losing herself in the music and the dance, forgetting for a moment the weight of the crown upon her head.

"Well done, Your Majesty!" Lord Darius praised her as Nia glided effortlessly through a spin. "You are a natural."

Nia smiled back joyfully, a thrill rushing through her at the realization that she was actually dancing in a royal ballroom within the palace of the vampire king himself. The music swirled around them, carrying them along on its wings, and for a brief moment, she forgot everything else. Her movements became more fluid, more confident, as if the music were a living being that she was in tune with, sharing a secret language.

As the song drew to a close, Nia dipped into a graceful curtsy, elated at her success. But then a sudden hush fell over the room. She glanced up to see King Kiyoshi standing in the arched doorway, gripping the carved wood so tightly that his knuckles had turned white. His expression was unreadable, his eyes fixed on her. A shiver ran down her spine. Nia walked steadily up to King Kiyoshi, hiding her nerves. "Your Majesty," she began, her voice steady as she curtseyed low before him. Before she could say more, he grabbed her upper arm, his grip painful but controlled. She winced, but he strode rapidly out of the ballroom, forcing Nia to quicken her pace to keep up. He dragged her down the long hallway in tense silence. Finally reaching a deserted corridor, he released his hold and turned to face her, his expression unreadable.

Nia rubbed her sore arm, her earlier joy vanishing. "Your Majesty, have I done something to offend you?" she asked timidly.

Kiyoshi simply stared at her, his jaw tight. After a long moment, he strode away without a word, leaving Nia staring after him, confusion and worry warring in her chest. She glanced down the hallway, then back into the ballroom she had just left. What had she done wrong? His moods were always changing, she reminded herself, trying to reassure herself.

𝕻𝖊𝖗𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖘 𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖎𝖓 𝖆 𝖇𝖆𝖉 𝖒𝖔𝖔𝖉...𝖆𝖌𝖆𝖎𝖓.