𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 18: 𝕬 𝕼𝖚𝖊𝖊𝖓'𝖘 𝕽𝖊𝖖𝖚𝖊𝖘𝖙

Nia awoke the morning after her coronation to find King Kiyoshi already gone, his side of the bed cold and untouched. She sighed, rolling out of bed and beginning her daily routine. A soft knock sounded at the door before Qadira and two other maids entered with curtsies. "Good morning, Your Majesty," Qadira greeted her. "Did you sleep well?"

Nia forced a smile. "Yes, thank you, Qadira. I did. Please help me prepare for the day's events." As the maids busied themselves around her, dressing her in the finest robes and adorning her with jewels fit for a queen, Nia could not help but feel a growing sense of unease. Something was off. She'd expected Kiyoshi to be more present on her first day as queen, but he'd been distant.

As they made their way to the garden for the morning ritual, the silence between them weighed heavily on her. She turned around, searching for some small talk or reassurance, but found only blank stares in return. "Please, feel free to speak normally around me. I consider you all friends." Her voice sounded small and distant in the hushed air. "I would like to get to know you better."

The maids exchanged uncertain glances until Qadira spoke up hesitantly. "Begging your pardon, Your Majesty, but it would not be proper. You are the queen now." Her voice was soft but firm, reflecting the deep respect she held for Nia's new role. The other maids nodded in agreement, their faces flushing with embarrassment.

Nia touched Qadira's arm reassuringly. "I insist. I want those close to me to feel comfortable in my presence." Slowly the maids began chatting lightly as they worked. Nia interjected questions about their lives, their families, and their hopes for the future. As they walked through the garden, the flowers and trees surrounding them filled the air with a sweet scent, and the moonlight danced across their faces, casting dappled shadows on the path before them.

"What happened to Kiyoshi's father and mother?" Nia asked as they reached the center of the garden. "I have yet to meet them." The maids exchanged glances again before Qadira finally spoke. "Your husband's parents... they died a long time ago, Your Majesty," she began hesitantly. "During the great war, they were both heroes of the realm."

"How did they die? Were they...?" Nia trailed off, unable to finish the thought. Qadira's expression softened as she took a deep breath. "Your Majesty, they were not killed in battle. It was a tragedy that brought about their end. His father was poisoned, and because when they married, their lives became one, his mother felt the poison too. They died together, holding each other in their arms."

"Surely King Kiyoshi must miss them still." Nia's voice was soft, almost a whisper. The maids exchanged glances again, their faces filled with sympathy. "Well...we are not sure, Your Majesty. His highness was not the favorite child, so it was a shock when he became king. Some say that Prince Daemon never accepted it and that there has always been tension between them. But we are sworn to serve our king and queen, no matter what."

Perhaps the king's moodiness had more to do with his family history and rivalry with his brother than anything she had done. She resolved to show him more patience and understanding in hopes of melting the ice around his heart. Turning to the maids, she asked "Might we go down to the town square and market today? I should like to walk among the people and learn more about this place." The maids exchanged glances before Qadira spoke up. "Of course, Your Majesty," Qadira replied carefully. "If that is your wish. Shall we summon the royal carriage or guard escort?"

Nia considered but shook her head. " We will travel quietly together. I want to observe day-to-day life here, not cause a stir. We will blend in with the people as much as possible." Her heart raced at the thought of meeting her subjects, of learning about their lives and hopes. She could not wait to see the marketplace, to smell the food and hear the laughter.

Qadira bit her lip. "King Kiyoshi may prefer you take an escort, my queen. For your safety." she continued, "And shouldn't we ask his Majesty for permission first?" Nia paused, considering the maid's words. "Very well," she finally said. "You are right. It would be best to ask Kiyoshi."

Nia walked through the castle hallways, greeting each bowing servant and guard with a smile. They murmured respectful greetings in return, though their confused expressions betrayed their uncertainty. It seemed that none of them had expected such a warm and friendly approach from their new queen. Some glanced nervously at one another, unsure of how to respond to her informal demeanor.

When they reached a long corridor, Nia stopped and turned questioningly to Qadira. "Where might I find King Kiyoshi?" She asked, her voice light and calm. Qadira glanced around nervously before replying, "He is...in the throne room, Your Majesty. He has a meeting with the council."

Nia bit her lip. She knew interrupting an official council session might try Kiyoshi's patience. Shaking her head, she turned to Qadira. "It is fine, we will see him now regardless." The maid nodded, swallowing hard, and led her down the hall.

Upon entering the imposing throne room, all conversation ceased as the vampire nobles and advisors took note of Nia's arrival. She offered them a weak, uncertain smile, her hand trembling slightly as she clasped it to her chest. She approached the king where he sat upon his throne, flanked by the High Priestess and the Chancellor. Kiyoshi looked up at her, his expression unreadable.

Dropping into a deep curtsy before him, she murmured "Your Majesty. Might I have a word?" Kiyoshi narrowed his eyes, clearly displeased by the interruption, but after a moment he waved her closer. "Very well. Speak your mind."

At his silent stare, she moved nearer to whisper "I hoped you might grant me leave to visit the kingdom town and market today?"

Kiyoshi's expression remained unreadable as he studied her. The council members had broken into low chuckles and knowing smirks, but the High Priestess shot them all warning glances. Feeling desperate, she threw formality to the wind and boldly kissed Kiyoshi's cheek. "Please?" she implored softly.

At last, the king gave a single nod. Relief crashed over Nia. With a joyous "Thank you!", she shouted and hugged him impulsively, before catching herself. "I apologize, Your Majesty," she murmured, stepping back with a blush. But he did not say anything, but just stared at her intently. The tension in the room was thick enough to cut with a knife.

Nia turned to nod apologetically at the greatly amused nobles. "Good day, gentlemen!"

𝕴𝖌𝖓𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖎𝖗 𝖑𝖆𝖚𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖊𝖗, 𝖘𝖍𝖊 𝖌𝖆𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊𝖉 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖐𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖘 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖍𝖚𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖉 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖔𝖔𝖗, 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖕𝖚𝖑𝖘𝖊 𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖆𝖙 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖔𝖜𝖓 𝖆𝖚𝖉𝖆𝖈𝖎𝖙𝖞.