𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 28: 𝕳𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖋𝖊𝖑𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖓𝖋𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘

Nia slipped into her chambers, the echo of her family's laughter fading with each step. The room, usually warm and inviting, felt cold and empty now. A glance at the bed revealed Kiyoshi, his broad back turned towards her as he wrestled with his shirt. The sight, a glimpse of sculpted muscle and gleaming skin, stole her breath and sent a blush creeping up her neck.

But the warmth quickly curdled into a familiar ache. He hadn't been there to greet her family, leaving Lord Darius to shoulder the responsibility. It was another instance of him putting his duties first, his own desires for power and prestige above their marriage. Nia bit her lip, forcing herself to swallow the bitter taste that rose in her throat.

"Kiyoshi," she called out, her voice soft but firm. He stiffened at the sound of her voice but did not turn around. "Why weren't you there to greet my family?"

"Lord Darius was there to represent me," he replied dismissively, not bothering to turn around. "My duties come first, Nia. You know this." She swallowed the retort that rose to her lips, feeling a stab of pain. It was true, he had been preoccupied with his duties, but she'd hoped for some time with her family. It felt as though they were growing further apart every day.

The flippancy of his response sparked a fire in her belly. "Yes, you have your duties, Kiyoshi," she said, her voice growing colder. "But this is my family we are talking about. My sisters, my father. They've been through so much with me. Don't you think they deserve at least a few moments of your time?"

This wasn't the first time he'd retreated behind a wall of indifference when she interacted with others, particularly men. First, it was the guard vampires, their playful magic shows met with a chilling silence on his part. Then, the anger simmering beneath the surface after she practiced her coronation dance with Lord Darius. Now, this.

"What is wrong with you, Kiyoshi?" she burst out, her voice laced with hurt and frustration. "Is this who you are?" She gestured wildly at him, her hands shaking with anger. "A cold, distant man who cares more about his duties than the people around him? Is that what you want?"

He scoffed, the sound harsh and grating. "Don't presume to know who I am, Nia." His voice was laced with anger now, his muscles tense as he turned to face her. "You have no idea what it's like to be the king. To carry the weight of an entire kingdom on your shoulders. To know that one wrong move could mean the death of thousands." His eyes flashed with a mixture of anger and despair. "I do what I must to protect this realm. To keep our people safe. And sometimes, that means putting aside my personal feelings for the greater good."

"That is true! I do not know you as well as I wish I did," Nia said, her anger beginning to dissipate. "You have pushed me away, Kiyoshi, and I have allowed it. You talk of duty" - she gestured broadly at the room around them - "but what about your duties as a husband? Is that not part of your kingly responsibilities?"

Kiyoshi clenched his jaw, his gaze hardening. "Is this about that Darius fellow?" he snapped.

Nia's heart pounded in her chest. "What is wrong with you?" she cried; her voice raw with hurt. "Why are you so determined to push me away? To shut me out?"

"What is wrong with me?" he mimicked; his voice laced with anger. "You are my wife, Nia! Or have you forgotten that?"

"No one is disputing that!" she screamed back, tears stinging her eyes. "But why are you so cold, so distant? I have tried, Kiyoshi, I have tried to get close to you, to be the best wife I could be. But I am tired! I am tired of putting in all the effort while you do nothing!"

He lunged towards her, his grip tight on her arm. "Nothing?" he growled, his eyes flashing with anger. "I do everything for you, for this kingdom! Don't you see the burden I carry?"