𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 12: 𝕬 𝕽𝖔𝖞𝖆𝖑 𝕬𝖜𝖆𝖐𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌

Nia awoke when King Kiyoshi gently shook her shoulder. Blinking in the darkness, sore from where she'd slept against the carriage's hard wood, she sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"We shall stop and make camp for the night," he informed her. His tone was calm, almost detached, but there was an air of command that made it clear he expected her to obey. Nia nodded, still feeling the weight of sleep in her eyes.

"Although ours is a political match, marriage is deeply sacred in Ivamis. We must appear to be in love both in public and private." He paused, his gaze searching hers.

Nia nodded hesitantly. She had not considered that the marriage must seem real, even when they were alone. It was strange to think of him in such a light, as her husband and not just her new king. His words made her heart race, and she felt a blush creep up her neck. "I-I understand," she stammered.

Kiyoshi continued, "That includes sharing a marriage bed, even on this first night. It is expected."

Nia's cheeks became warm, averting her eyes. "But, Your Majesty, I have never...spent a night in a man's company before." Her voice trembled, fear and uncertainty lacing her words.

"I understand this is difficult for you," Kiyoshi replied gently. "I give you my word, I shall never touch you without your consent, and I shall make certain you are comfortable. It is not my intent to cause you distress. But it is crucial that we appear to be a loving couple, both now and in the future."

"Very well, my lord. For the sake of our kingdoms, I shall share your tent tonight," Nia said, summoning her courage. She watched as King Kiyoshi stepped down from the carriage and turned to offer his hand. Hesitantly, she placed her hand in his strong grasp. His skin was cool against hers as he assisted her down onto solid ground.

Glancing around, Nia saw they had stopped in a clearing, surrounded by tall trees and small tents. Vampire guards mingled about, their pale skin and grayish brown skin glowing under the moonlight. Unlike the orange and yellow hues of regular campfires, the crimson red light from these fires cast an eerie glow over the scene. Nia stared, mesmerized by the otherworldly flames.

"Why is the campfire not a regular color, Your Majesty?" Nia asked curiously as she gazed at the crimson-red flames. King Kiyoshi glanced at her before turning back to study the fire himself.

"Our kind cannot endure a normal fire. It is too intense, too hot for our bodies. We must use a special kind of flame, one that is less harsh and more easily controlled," he explained, his voice low and distant. "This particular fire was crafted from the heart of a volcano and infused with the blood of a purebred vampire. It burns eternally, never consuming the wood it is contained within. It is said that the color is a reflection of the passion and fury that lies within our souls."

"As a royal, I can withstand more than ordinary vampires. My bloodline is ancient." King Kiyoshi paused; his gaze distant. "It is a gift and a curse. My ancestors were once humans who drank the blood of vampires to survive. Over time, their bodies adapted, becoming more resilient. They became the rulers of this kingdom, the protectors of our people. But with that strength came a price. We tend to live longer than regular vampires, but a blessing is that we can reproduce with humans, but if we are to do that our children must be raised by a human mother."

Nia frowned, unsure if she should ask the next question. But curiosity got the better of her. "What happens when you and I... when we..."

"Produce a child?" Kiyoshi finished for her, his voice calm. "It is a rare occurrence, one that has not happened in centuries. If it were to happen, the child would be a half-vampire, half-human hybrid. Such a child would be extremely powerful, capable of controlling both vampiric and human magic. It is believed that the first of our kind, the founder of our kingdom, was the result of such a union."

"So, is that why you specifically sought out a human wife?" Nia asked, her curiosity piqued. Kiyoshi nodded; his expression thoughtful. "Yes" he said, his voice barely above a whisper as he started walking towards the tent assigned for them.

Holding open the tent flap, he motioned for Nia to enter. She gazed around the interior, noting the large, comfortable bed in the center, covered with thick velvet blankets and soft-looking pillows and carved wooden chests.

"You may change into your nightgown here," Kiyoshi said, indicating a small area sectioned off by a curtain. "I shall give you a moment of privacy."

As Nia crossed the tent to the curtain, she could not help but feel a mix of anger and disappointment. It was bad enough that she had been forced into this marriage for the sake of their kingdoms, but to know that she had been chosen solely because of the potential to produce a powerful hybrid child...it made her stomach turn. She could feel the tears burning behind her eyes as she ducked behind the curtain, careful not to let them fall.

Slipping into her nightgown, Nia emerged from behind the curtain and slowly made her way outside of the tent. The guards were amusing themselves around a crackling red fire, laughter carrying on the night air. Drawn by the sound, Nia approached the vampires gathered around the crimson fire. At first, they tensed, their eyes wary as they watched her approach, but when she did not attack or reveal any signs of fear, they relaxed.

"Good evening," she greeted them with a smile. "What are you doing here?"

The vampires exchanged glances before one of them, a male with striking green eyes, stepped forward. "We're just passing time with some simple magic, Your Majesty."

"Oh please, do show me!" Nia encouraged. "You needn't stand on formality with me." She smiled warmly, feeling the weight of their suspicion lifting from her shoulders. The male vampire seemed to relax a little, returning the smile.

Reassured, the vampires began demonstrating their abilities. One abruptly transformed into a bat, making Nia gasp in delight. Another manipulated the flames, forming images of galloping horses and flowering vines. A third caused the fire to shrink to the size of a campfire, and then just as quickly made it grow large enough to roast meat. As Nia watched in awe, she realized that these vampires were not so different from her people. They were creative, intelligent, and full of life.

"Incredible!" Nia clapped. "I have never seen such wonders!" The vampires beamed at her praise. "You all must be so strong," she added.

The vampires grinned, warming up to their appreciative new queen. "We could teach you some basic spells, if it pleases you," one offered

"Oh yes, I would love to learn!" Nia exclaimed. The vampires were laughing and showing their simple hand motions when a looming presence suddenly appeared behind them.